GSP has like green fuzzy algae or something all over it.

Reefin' Alaska

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When the GSP polyps open during the day, you can't see it. But you can see it with the lights off, and you shine the LED flashlight on my phone. It looks like it's a green, almost fuzzy looking algae. It had clearly killed off some of the GSP where this stuff is at. I can't ID it, I'm not really even sure what it is, but since I first discovered this, it's spread.

Any idea what this might be and how to deal with it?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the GSP polyps open during the day, you can't see it. But you can see it with the lights off, and you shine the LED flashlight on my phone. It looks like it's a green, almost fuzzy looking algae. It had clearly killed off some of the GSP where this stuff is at. I can't ID it, I'm not really even sure what it is, but since I first discovered this, it's spread.

Any idea what this might be and how to deal with it?
Take a pic of it in white lighting

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Any growth or substance on them is an indicator of flow issue. When it comes to water flow, moderate to high flow will give you the best results with GSP. In higher water flow the Green Star Polyps Coral will thrive, it will grow faster and it will look healthier. Higher flow tends to do better because it will keep detritus from settling on them which is my suspect.
Like any other coral, the Green Star Polyps as well requires light to survive. However, it is quite adaptable to different varieties of lighting systems. You don’t need to break the budget to have success in taking care of these corals, in terms of lighting.

OP
OP
R

Reefin' Alaska

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any growth or substance on them is an indicator of flow issue. When it comes to water flow, moderate to high flow will give you the best results with GSP. In higher water flow the Green Star Polyps Coral will thrive, it will grow faster and it will look healthier. Higher flow tends to do better because it will keep detritus from settling on them which is my suspect.
Like any other coral, the Green Star Polyps as well requires light to survive. However, it is quite adaptable to different varieties of lighting systems. You don’t need to break the budget to have success in taking care of these corals, in terms of lighting.
It's an IM Nuvo 40 with an Gen 5 XR30. I don't think light is the issue. However, I guess I never considered flow. I do have an MP10, and it runs at about 30% on nutrient transport. As well as 2 Sicce 0.5 returns. Guess I'll move some stuff around and see if I can get a bit more flow and keep everything else happy. =)

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 95 47.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 64 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.5%
Back