GSP hates reef roids

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time feeding corals. I mixed up a light batch of reef roids and gently blasted my little patch of tiny GSPs. They Immediately closed up and shrank away. They’ve opened back up now but what gives? I thought they were supposed to like it? All my other corals (6 unidentified frags mistakenly sold as “mushrooms”) did.

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it was the "blasting". Release the food upstream and let it drift into them. For my corals (SPS) I release a tiny amount in the tank to let them know "dinner's on!" so they become receptive and then feed a little later.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it was the "blasting". Release the food upstream and let it drift into them. For my corals (SPS) I release a tiny amount in the tank to let them know "dinner's on!" so they become receptive and then feed a little later.

Hmmm. Perhaps you’ve got a point. I blasted them gently but I could see how it would be a shock. I did put a bit in the water column first though. So you think I should try again later or leave them alone? Don’t want them to miss a feeding.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I broadcast feed my whole tank with reef roids and reef chili and I’ve never seen my gsp actually grab any of the food. I’m not sure how much benefit the GSP gets from the direct feeding but the nutrients that the food provide will help them

Len

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you really want and most certainly dont need to feed gsp.

timrocks311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Polyplab Poly-Booster before I feed my corals Reef Roids. When I do, my GSP close up. Not completely, but they definitely close almost every time I use that stuff. I always thought somehow they were eating. I don't go out of my way to feed them Reef Roids, they just get residual particles that are floating in the wate. If I blow on them they close temporarily. So I think they definitely can react to food being in the water as well as the blast.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 44.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 85 33.1%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 41 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 13 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.6%
Back