GSP in trouble

Bootstrap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R, I'm guessing GSP is a "soft" coral, if not forgive me, and we can move the thread.

My GSP is around 2 weeks old in my tank (which is now 2 weeks cycled) The GSP was doing great, purple mat and green polyps always extended until my recent Diatom Algae Bloom.
The GSP is now reluctant to open at all (5-10) polyps at most, and the mat is turning brown, as well as it looking dirty. Attached are before and after pictures. The GSP was positioned in good flow, but also quite high light, is it just covered in diatoms and angry now?

Water Parameters as of Saturday are:
Salinity 1.025
Nitrate 1.0
Phosphate .05
DKH 9
PH 8.0

BEFORE:
DSCN2536_zps567d92ac.jpg

AFTER:
DSCN2982_zps75f9dd26.jpg

DSCN2983_zps890f0a30.jpg

DSCN2984_zps6e0495e6.jpg

ReefRacer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of lights do you have? My GSPs hate my halides and are on the floor almost completely shaded by rocks. That's the only the place they will come out and have gotten very large.

dsmhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really wouldn't worry too much. They are almost impossible to kill.

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like diatoms to me. Do you have ammonia and nitrite readings? Was your tank completely cycled before the addition of the GSP?

scooterc268

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They sometimes close for no reason but reopen. Also, if your tank is only 2wks old, the cycling is still taking place IMO and too soon to add corals. You gotta be patient.

The diatoms could be brushed off with a very soft toothbrush. But until the diatoms are done with their thing, it will be a never ending battle.

Also, the diatoms are consuming the abundant silicons in the tank (not silicone 2 different things) until they exhaust that they gonna come back. This is normal for a new tank.

List any other livestock in your tank. IE fish, snails, crabs, etc. Also GSP is considered a soft Coral

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
Bootstrap

Bootstrap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They sometimes close for no reason but reopen. Also, if your tank is only 2wks old, the cycling is still taking place IMO and too soon to add corals. You gotta be patient.

The diatoms could be brushed off with a very soft toothbrush. But until the diatoms are done with their thing, it will be a never ending battle.

Also, the diatoms are consuming the abundant silicons in the tank (not silicone 2 different things) until they exhaust that they gonna come back. This is normal for a new tank.

List any other livestock in your tank. IE fish, snails, crabs, etc. Also GSP is considered a soft Coral

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

2 weeks old AFTER cycle. It cycled for one month.

Stock includes
2 Black Ocellaris
1 cleaner shrimp
Watchman Goby and Pistol shrimp
Pom Pom Xenia
Green Button polyp
Kenya tree
Generic Zoanthid
Candy cane
Hammer coral
Torch coral
Blue mushroom

The GSP declined before the addition of the Hammer/Torch/Buttons/Candy Cane/ Mushroom

Flamed_Razor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added my GSP a month later after the tank cycled and I didn't see a single polyp till 4 weeks later. I wouldn't worry about them not coming out but would take a turkey baster and blast the detritus off

OP
OP
Bootstrap

Bootstrap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added my GSP a month later after the tank cycled and I didn't see a single polyp till 4 weeks later. I wouldn't worry about them not coming out but would take a turkey baster and blast the detritus off

I just think they're irritated, I want to solve the source lol. I guess it's looking like diatoms? I let the powerhead try to dust them, but the pix above are AFTER cleaning

OP
OP
Bootstrap

Bootstrap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved the frag lower in the tank and it's coming back to life it seems! also reducing light cycles. It's not as happy as it was but it's definitely coming back

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME GSP mats need to be clean in order for them to thrive. I think you have too much debris and algae on the mat, i had one similar looking piece that withered away eventually. Blowing it off with powerhead or baster may work ok but I might consider something like a diluted peroxide dip to assist with killing the algae (which also traps debris). I did a little research and it seems ok for GSP although i have not tried it specifically for GSP so please do read up on it first.

NanoNathan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would worry about the GSP. mine would close up for no reason for days if not weeks at a time. they dont die. you soon will wish you didnt have it in your tank when it is covering everything in 6 months lol they do look nice once frown in big mats all flowing around.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back