GSP v pulsing Xenia

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the look of both these but am afraid they’ll take over my tank. Enter 20g display Refugium. I should specify that the point of said refugium is pods. So, live rock, pods, macro algae (going w dragon’s breath and saving the cheato for the sump. I want this to be pretty) gsp, and pulsing Xenia. Will one outcompete the other? Will they co exist?

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can have them on their own island but it’s hard to say what will take over what

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSP will bulldoze over anything it reaches. It is a very strong coral, whereas Xenia is extremely weak.
I have both in my display. The GSP is isolated from everything else so it cannot spread and take over. The Xenia is not because it’s extremely easy to rip off areas you don’t want and stick something else over it. Neither release any sort of “spore” that will allow them to spread beyond what they can touch, so if you do an Xenia or GSP island you’re safe from a tank invasion.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSP will bulldoze over anything it reaches. It is a very strong coral, whereas Xenia is extremely weak.
I have both in my display. The GSP is isolated from everything else so it cannot spread and take over. The Xenia is not because it’s extremely easy to rip off areas you don’t want and stick something else over it. Neither release any sort of “spore” that will allow them to spread beyond what they can touch, so if you do an Xenia or GSP island you’re safe from a tank invasion.

Ive read that Xenia, once it overcrowds it’s space, can detach a piece, float, and repopulate elsewhere.

I’ve also read that gsp, once it overpopulated it’s space, can reach out and populate elsewhere.

Am I mistaken?

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive read that Xenia, once it overcrowds it’s space, can detach a piece, float, and repopulate elsewhere.

I’ve also read that gsp, once it overpopulated it’s space, can reach out and populate elsewhere.

Am I mistaken?

Maybe, but I have a massive mat of GSP and it hadn’t done that or shown signs of doing so. It’s also at pretty full capacity. I don’t want to say it won’t though because I don’t know for sure and I’d hate to turn your tank into a GSP field Haha

ProfessorAronnax

Conscientious Marine Aquarist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME I have seen GSP grow over rock and form what is similar to ants making a bridge, but this takes a lon time. Itd be easy to just snip in off.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe, but I have a massive mat of GSP and it hadn’t done that or shown signs of doing so. It’s also at pretty full capacity. I don’t want to say it won’t though because I don’t know for sure and I’d hate to turn your tank into a GSP field Haha

I appreciate the info thx

Iván Olalla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20190527_153858.jpg
i've both growing in my pico Reef on the back wall, no invasion of other areas yet

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 110 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 85 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 41 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 13 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.6%
Back