Guess I’m over the tang craze

bruce337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knock on online wood but I currently have the following tang gang (yellow, purple, blue, blonde naso, and sailfin) and they're all healthy & happy! They were raised from babies and they've been in the tank for years - no aggression whatsoever. I believe the key is to keep them well fed? I also have a foxface, damsel, and cardinal as tank mates and everyone is getting along fine.

However, I do see some aggressions on my second tank with the power brown bullying the smaller blue tang. I'm trying to catch him but it's been somewhat challenging.
jhow to catch a tang 101... 1) put *2* nets in the tank- 1 won't work 2) leave them there for a few hours or 1/2 a day so they don't see them as a threat, 3) feed 4) while they feed at top scoop upward- done :p

bruce337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I think any fish can be jerks, we never had bad Yellow Tangs, only one when our LFS gave us a Domino Damsel that was such a jerk our Yellow Tang took him out, sorry to say but thank God, he was so nasty. Tang never bothered anyone else. To bad there isn’t a way to exchange “jerks” with other people, cause each community is different and someone else might be a perfect fit. PS, damsels are a no go for us, they are jerks and Live to long.
I have a coral beauty he's a dumba** he constantly decides to pick a fight with the female clown he'll get his fins all tore up then cool off for a month or so and heal, then start up again lol I used to be worried @ first now IDC it's been a year- eventually he may learn lol. I Like tangs, buutttt they always get ich in my tank. 30 days in QT perfectly fine, let them in DT ich...absolutely no one else has it or ever gets it just the tangs. ANY Tang: Clown, yellow, powder brown, blue, orange shoulder, hippo, and my favorite one mata tang all got ich. I was so sad about my mata had him 1 year all good, I was like I FINALLY did it, bam ich, nothing new added to tank at all, no swings in anything. Then its everyone into QT, tang separate from everyone else, fallow tank for 45 days & treat. Tang dies in QT, no one else gets ich in QT everyone back into DT and everything's fine. Tangs can also be a++es

Last edited:

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing can replace tangs when it comes to large tanks. I love my two yellow and one purple. All three fully grown and model citizens

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back