Guess I’m over the tang craze

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my blue hippo mysteriously dying in June and the fact that my Kole tang is mean, once I get the Kole tang caught, I don’t have plans for any more tangs. Of course I wanted the blue hippo as it’s one of the most beautiful fish I’ve seen. I also wanted a yellow tang for its brightness but was hesitant due to territory issues.

Anyway, I’m now focusing on other fish. I ordered three lemon damsels so I hope they satisfy that yellow brightness in the tank.

I also picked up my first nem this past weekend so I hope my clowns will inhabit it. That will be cool to watch

Not sure what would equal the blue of the blue hippo but I recently added a female Watanabei and I have another one on order. Hopefully one will turn to male.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sailfin tangs are awesome and really peaceful (plus always entertaining to look at when they go into "bat mode"). The bristletooth and half black mimic tangs are also great with other fish.

Not to entice you down the "tang road" again, but the ones I listed aren't in the tang "d**k list".

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had a tang. Don’t see the appeal. Big, aggressive, disease prone. There are just better options.

I would suggest Halichoeres chrysus rather than a yellow tang. Anampses meleagrides instead of a gem. The Cirrhilabrus exquisitus for the blue.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyway, I’m now focusing on other fish. I ordered three lemon damsels so I hope they satisfy that yellow brightness in the tank.
There’s a chance that the damsels are more annoying and aggressive than the tangs.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knock on online wood but I currently have the following tang gang (yellow, purple, blue, blonde naso, and sailfin) and they're all healthy & happy! They were raised from babies and they've been in the tank for years - no aggression whatsoever. I believe the key is to keep them well fed? I also have a foxface, damsel, and cardinal as tank mates and everyone is getting along fine.

However, I do see some aggressions on my second tank with the power brown bullying the smaller blue tang. I'm trying to catch him but it's been somewhat challenging.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some research. ORA says they’re more docile. Also that’s why I ordered an odd number
I totally dislike (okay, HATE) damsels and clowns (both evil clowns and clown fish) -- they would go after my hand when I try to clean the tank. Well, to their credit -- unless I need to frag some SPS colonies (which is not very often), my hand is never in the tank!

Well -- I bought my yellow tang for $35 many moons ago. I paid $65 for the purple, and $70 for the naso since it was a blonde... etc. If I have to replace them now -- I would be in your camp. The price for these guys is ridiculous nowadays...

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually don’t like clowns. We have a black storm who’s ridin solo. I think it looks weird. The only reason I bought two oscellaris clowns is because I just purchased an anemone and planned on getting rid of the black storm

I have them all in the acclimation box and already seeing aggression out of the damsels. They look super stressed so maybe that’s why. If they don’t calm down in a couple of days they may be going to my LFS.

How would a canary wrasse do with a solar wrasse?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually don’t like clowns. We have a black storm who’s ridin solo. I think it looks weird. The only reason I bought two oscellaris clowns is because I just purchased an anemone and planned on getting rid of the black storm

I have them all in the acclimation box and already seeing aggression out of the damsels. They look super stressed so maybe that’s why. If they don’t calm down in a couple of days they may be going to my LFS.

How would a canary wrasse do with a solar wrasse?

I assume you mean the yellow wrasse, Halichoeres chrysus with your Cirrhilabrus aquamarinus/solorensis (these two are often misidentified thought they are very closely related). The answer is they should not care about eachother at all. Wrasse are ususally good with eachother and two from sepreate genera usually do well. I have 10 different species in my 110 gallon.

See this Jake Adams article. The "solar" wrasse sold in the hobby are usually Aquamarine wrasse.
Screenshot 2023-08-29 at 9.28.56 PM.png

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, thanks for the info. Yeah maybe I should have went with a yellow wrasse.

I’m second guessing placing the damsels in the tank lol. Oh well at least they’re cheap

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IF you don't want tangs, get a Heniochus. Fearless fish that is very active, grows fast, and will eat out of your hands and I am pretty certain will cheer for you when you clean the algae off the glass, well mine did I think. How can you say no to this big fella. Oh, my juvenile doubles as a cleaner of my tangs.
heni.jpg

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IF you don't want tangs, get a Heniochus. Fearless fish that is very active, grows fast, and will eat out of your hands and I am pretty certain will cheer for you when you clean the algae off the glass, well mine did I think. How can you say no to this big fella. Oh, my juvenile doubles as a cleaner of my tangs.
heni.jpg
Beautiful!

I also suggest angelfish (yes many aren’t reef safe with the exception of the Genicanthus) but if you’re willing to try them they’re colors and personalities are awesome and generally are only aggressive to other angels.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, thanks for the info. Yeah maybe I should have went with a yellow wrasse.

I’m second guessing placing the damsels in the tank lol. Oh well at least they’re cheap
I added an Allen’s damsel when I started my tank. Supposed to be the most peaceful damsel. It was still a semi-jerk and it liked to blast the sand everywhere to get food.

When I rehomed it, all the fish started coming out more. He was scaring everyone and I didn’t even notice.

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added an Allen’s damsel when I started my tank. Supposed to be the most peaceful damsel. It was still a semi-jerk and it liked to blast the sand everywhere to get food.

When I rehomed it, all the fish started coming out more. He was scaring everyone and I didn’t even notice.
About damsels, I have a springeri damsel (full blue one) and it is the MOST peaceful fish in my tank. Never seen it in any conflict and I have bangai and foxface as well. I have seen my BANGAI cardinal charge my damsel and forcing it to flee, it didn't even think about fighting back. I was shocked too. To be fair it was one of the last fish I added but it is defineitly the most skittish fish in my tank by far

Springer's_damsel_(Chrysiptera_springeri)_(39851325963).jpg

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About damsels, I have a springeri damsel (full blue one) and it is the MOST peaceful fish in my tank. Never seen it in any conflict and I have bangai and foxface as well. I have seen my BANGAI cardinal charge my damsel and forcing it to flee, it didn't even think about fighting back. I was shocked too. To be fair it was one of the last fish I added but it is defineitly the most skittish fish in my tank by far

Springer's_damsel_(Chrysiptera_springeri)_(39851325963).jpg's_damsel_(Chrysiptera_springeri)_(39851325963).jpg
Pretty fish

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful!

I also suggest angelfish (yes many aren’t reef safe with the exception of the Genicanthus) but if you’re willing to try them they’re colors and personalities are awesome and generally are only aggressive to other angels.
Yeah, check my profile pic. That’s my crown jewel. I have one female Watanabei Angel and will be getting another soon, assuming one will turn to male. The one I have has lots of personality and will eat out of my hand. She goes around pecking at air bubbles on the surface or rocks and is the only fish I’ve ever seen pass gas hahahaha…likely from swallowing lots of air but still lol

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I think any fish can be jerks, we never had bad Yellow Tangs, only one when our LFS gave us a Domino Damsel that was such a jerk our Yellow Tang took him out, sorry to say but thank God, he was so nasty. Tang never bothered anyone else. To bad there isn’t a way to exchange “jerks” with other people, cause each community is different and someone else might be a perfect fit. PS, damsels are a no go for us, they are jerks and Live to long.

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Springer's_damsel_(Chrysiptera_springeri)_(39851325963).jpg's_damsel_(Chrysiptera_springeri)_(39851325963).jpg
I have a springerii and love it. He's a model citizen. I have him in with a firefish, watchman, cave goby, and small pair of clowns. Very peacefull fish. Plus they're known to eat flatworms.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 78.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back