Guidance would be appreciated

Gamble669

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there are so many ways to set up an aquarium. I feel a bit overwhelmed!
Here are the things I know
I want a 75gallon saltwater tank. I currently have a 20 gallon and have had it running for about a year and a half.
I have 2 old 75 gallon aquariums but one of them is being used for my bearded dragon and the other is sort of scuffed up so I was thinking of just purchasing a new one with a new stand this black Friday. The new one does not look like it would fit a sump below which has led me to debate on going with a HOB filter(seachem tidal 110) as well as a HOB skimmer (aquamaxx hob 1.5) but I don't know if those will work as well.
I just don't want to make the wrong choice. I also need help picking some lighting that wont break the bank. I may not do coral initially since lighting is so expensive. I don't know how many heaters to get and at what wattage. I was initially thinking 2, 250 watt heaters since I live in Wisconsin and it gets chilly in the winter months.
I have my own RODI system but its only a 50gpd since I had a 20 gallon before. I am building my own mixing station with brute trashcans and I want to try to set up an auto top off but more research needs to be done there.
I have a long list of things I feel like I need answered but I know its just one step at a time, I didn't know if anyone wanted to sort of take me under their wing and help me out over the next few months getting everything setup and mentally checked off of my list.
If that sounds like a fun time just let me know and we can hook up through discord or something.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First - Welcome to R2R!

Second - Definitely look at R2R Marketplace, Craigslist, Facebook, etc for a used system. Can save you a lot of money and if you find someone who knew what they were doing, can answer/solve many of your questions.

Third - In the meantime, keep reading and learning about saltwater aquariums here on R2R!!!

FDD07AE9-60E2-402E-AE9D-672458F4AEC8.gif

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome !

Check out Tunze Comline 9012 DC skimmer and Tunze Comline Multifilter 3168. You set them side by side inside your tank, in one corner, and they are virtually invisible. And the noise level is below average.

Oh, and also get Tunze Osmolator 3155 for your auto top off. This is also sold as a kit under « Tunze Reefpack 500 ».

That’s what I have in my 75 gallons.

F7F3E750-838F-4424-8A48-BFDDBAFBF93F.jpeg

Logical_Plan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

I am also a new reefer in Wisconsin, Milwaukee to be more precise.

We are heating a 150 gallon in our basement with two 300W Jaeger Eihiems. Using it to start our rock cycling while we build the main display and stand for upstairs. It seems that titanium heaters want more watts to get the same work done though. Haven't tested, but the ratings for tank size are larger heater wattages for titanium models.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back