OP
OP
ReefHog

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine Didn’t actually smell that bad. But I ordered the base rock so not as much “stuff” on it to die off. I still anticipate doing some water changes

RipVanWinkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I threw all mine straight into the tank that’s been waiting for it for a few weeks now. No scrub just rinsed it in a bucket of tank water first. I’m hoping a lot of this bounces back over the next few days.
29A4F20B-10B5-4407-A448-4A87303243B5.jpeg
4987C742-95C4-4D05-AD9E-FE901F073DE3.jpeg

OP
OP
ReefHog

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my clams didn't make it. Really didn't think they would. Was able to get them out before fouling the water too much. I did 75% water changes for the first three days to bring the high ammonia readings down. Today ammonia is barley detectable. I will be adding 40 lb. of Carib Sea Life Rock to the container with the Gulf Live Rock to seed it for the next several weeks until my new tank is set up and ready for water.

RipVanWinkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s how it’s looking in the tank boys and girls. Still smelly. About to change most of the water for only the second time, the internal filter is packed full of ammonia absorbing media and is doing most of the heavy lifting getting all the debris out off the rocks and crap out of the tank.

47B31194-C1CB-44AF-852A-FBFD7B56024B.jpeg 70D8A700-E2CD-45AB-A9EE-67D57613E1CE.jpeg

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience is dated...

I bought 30 lbs of the gulf coralline rock from an old vendor( Gulfview.com). Overnight wrapped in newspaper at the time. I cured it in a small vat with a skimmer for about a month, doing occasional WC's. I pulled off big chicken liver sponges and things I knew were going to die.

I got about 9 long spined urchins off that rock, they were really tiny but grew well. Lots of different red macro algaes as well, one became a problem.

I've still have in my current tank the encrusting yellow and orange sponges that came on that rock 20 years later.

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought from Gulf Live Rock last fall. Actually 2 small 10-20lbs. Both took 2-3 days. Moved from QT to buckets to rinse many times for over a month to observe and wash of Gulf silt, before I placed in DT. I already had my base rock in DT for about 2 months before LR went in. I have been completely satisfied with the LR and still discovering new things in the DT.

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His Nano special is a great deal for someone just looking to add diversity or just great looking LR to their LR already in their DT. The bags had a fishy smell but wash them out with tank water. You’ll be surprised on what you might find.

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drove to Tampa from Atlanta to get my rock from Gulf Live Rock in person, this was in 2019 pre-covid. I bought 60 lbs of the premo rock and 40 lbs of the reef sand. Both were awesome and will do it again when I set up my next tank. Highly recommend.............
I'm going to assume you went back to Atlanta with the rock fully submirged in water. Did you put it in your tank without any kind of curing?

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drove to Tampa from Atlanta to get my rock from Gulf Live Rock in person, this was in 2019 pre-covid. I bought 60 lbs of the premo rock and 40 lbs of the reef sand. Both were awesome and will do it again when I set up my next tank. Highly recommend.............
Did you get to pick your own LR?

hubble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to assume you went back to Atlanta with the rock fully submirged in water. Did you put it in your tank without any kind of curing?
It wasn't fully submerged, but had some water and wet towels on it. The drive was only like 7 hrs, so as soon as I got home I put it in the tank with the live reef sand and BOOM instant reef. I did have a few bad hitchhikers but over time I removed them.

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It wasn't fully submerged, but had some water and wet towels on it. The drive was only like 7 hrs, so as soon as I got home I put it in the tank with the live reef sand and BOOM instant reef. I did have a few bad hitchhikers but over time I removed them.
Yeah I would recommend setting up two 5 gallon or a 10 gallon and a 5 gallon to separate and observe the rock. Pull rocks out and put in buckets during water changes and wash old tank water over rocks in the buckets. Then put back in QT tanks. This washes off all the Gulf sediment and other things into the buckets. Then empty 3/4 of those buckets and see what’s moving in the buckets. You might want to toss or keep depending on what type of worm or whatever it is. GLR is great LR. No complaints here.

Here we go again..

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we got our rock today. It was pretty warm in the box. There were two big clams that had died on the way here, and they STUNK!! Removed the clams and most of the sponges, there is a nice red one i hope makes it, it was in good shape. Got the rocks in a bucket with some fresh salt water flowing through them completely submerged. Did a water change after about two hours. And will check on them in the morning and do another water change. There was some good stuff on them. Hoping some of it live through the transition.

Back