Gulf Live Rock.Com

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if the coralline base live rock comes from the same ocean farm as the primo live rock? I’d like to have some shipped FedEx which will probably be three days and am just looking for the bacteria bio diversity so not really interested in the primo rock. But I want to make sure it comes from the ocean.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is probably one of the Tampabay sites they were the first in the state to get a bottom lease on a site in the state. Probably very good stuff but some of the hitchhikers :0
Man idk are you sure about that? I remember when I bought mine I reached out to everyone during the storms last year and it was same thing from everyone. Already have thousands of lbs on back order. Then I found Dan at gulfliverock and it turned out that he had something like a 20000 lb backorder. So either they are all paying him to dive said sites or they are maybe getting rock from his?

OP
OP
ReefHog

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an "old school reefer" myself, I got my first live rock order from TBS in the early 90s. Gorilla crabs and all ;) Still have most of it in my current 220 reef. But it's my understanding that TBS (under new owners) won't be shipping rock till the fall. I'm looking for some real live rock to seed my Caribsea Life Rock structures I made for a new tank I'm setting up this June. I don't have interest in all the critters (good or bad) or algae, so I'd like to just save some money and go with base rock. I wouldn't need it air shipped or overnight either as I just need the bacteria to survive. It doesn't specify that the "Coralline Base Rock" comes from the same place as the Primo rock on the Gulf Live Rock website. My guess is that it is the denser burried rock that the "Primo" rock covers at their sites but I'm not sure. I emailed them but never got a reply. Guess I'll have to give them a call.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Talked to Dan this morning and got my order in. Yes the Coralline Base Rock is from the same ocean site as the Primo Rock. It just doesn't have the good stuff on it due to it being denser, smoother, buried etc.
Did he say when he would ship? I placed and order last week and got the “oh I am sold out but hope to get some more this week.”

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of you know how good the gulf live rock sand is? I’m using dry and man made rock for my scape but would like to use collected live sand versus the stuff that gets bagged up and sits on a shelf for months.

OP
OP
ReefHog

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did he say when he would ship? I placed and order last week and got the “oh I am sold out but hope to get some more this week.”
On the phone he said he might have 35lb is stock. If not he’ll be getting more early in the week. I haven’t got any shipping notification so I’m guessing I’m still on the “wait” list.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of you know how good the gulf live rock sand is? I’m using dry and man made rock for my scape but would like to use collected live sand versus the stuff that gets bagged up and sits on a shelf for months.
I bought the sand only to seed my dry rock in separate container. It had a lot of different size pieces of stuff and shell pieces in it. A good portion of the actual sand was very fine. Don't think it would work well in high flow. Looks a lot more natural than off the shell bagged sand.

jjbunn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered 35lbs from Gulf Live Rock last Saturday (24 April), payment sent using PayPal. Sent several emails since inquiring about shipping status, but never any reply, so I'm in the dark what the status is. Do these guys never answer email, or send tracking info?! It's a bit frustrating to say the least :)

jjbunn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered 35lbs from Gulf Live Rock last Saturday (24 April), payment sent using PayPal. Sent several emails since inquiring about shipping status, but never any reply, so I'm in the dark what the status is. Do these guys never answer email, or send tracking info?! It's a bit frustrating to say the least :)
Update - Gulf Live Rock just refunded me my money. No explanation sent. Looks like I'll be going with KP Aquatics!

OP
OP
ReefHog

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine not refunded as of today. I ordered Base Rock with FedEx shipping though so might be different circumstances.

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered Friday before last and received my rock the following Thursday, (he shipped Monday). I called him before I placed the order, he didn't answer but returned my call with 5 minutes or so. I only got 10lbs though

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I understand it TBS just recently got their 1st container from Fiji of Walt Smith manufactured rock to dump on their gulf leased site. I don't see how there is going to be much life on it by Fall.
I know in past years, they sold rock that had been in the ocean for years.

jjbunn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I now have an order in with SaltyBottom for 35lbs. Much more expensive than Gulf. A few years ago I ordered from Tampa Bay Saltwater and had a great experience - too bad they are not currently shipping, otherwise I'd have gone with them again. Now, my question is: will SaltyBottom keep me guessing on when they will ship?!

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sadly, it only takes a couple minutes to search and find the customer service is spotty with Gulf Live Rock. Right now I will either go with KP Aquatics or wait a little bit for TBS to be up and running. According to Richard, he was leaving the new owners millions of pounds of rock. I think they are building a new facility so that may be a lot of the hold up

jjbunn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good email experience so far with Salty Bottom, and it looks like my rock should arrive next Tuesday. I also had some email correspondence with Philipp at KP Aquatics - very friendly and helpful, too!

Back