Gulf live rock?

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, turns out my LFS does carry some Fiji live rock from the ocean. I ended up getting about a pound of it, but I’m not sure if it’d be a good idea to get more or order for gulf live rock. It looks nice, but it wouldn’t come with any of the snails, crabs, or other various critters, because they dip the rock before they put it in the tank. The pieces look nice, And the piece I got is COVERED in coralline algae. So, Is it worth getting it from my LFS, because I can pick out the pieces?
If you don't get the Florida rocked shipped Next Day then all those critters will be dead anyway.
Are you sure LiveRockNReef won't ship Next Day?

OP
OP
jkkgron2

jkkgron2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't get the Florida rocked shipped Next Day then all those critters will be dead anyway.
Are you sure LiveRockNReef won't ship Next Day?
Looks like they will, I just don’t want to pay a ton of money for shipping when I’m first setting up the tank. Because it sounds like unless I get next day shipping most of the life will die, I may just order 10lbs of the gulf live rock, and see if anything makes it. At the very least the bacteria and some coralline algae should make it, and that’s about what I’d get at my LFS so I’m just going to go ahead and try it. Thanks for helping me make a decision :)

ocboat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won't lose all of the life if it is shipped 2 day priority mail. I started my tank with 20 pounds of rock from Gulf Live Rock back in April. I would say I lost very little during the "curing process". I still have 9 large bi-valves and I finally pulled out some macro algae (seaweed) that had grown too large along with sponges and other critters. It did have some aptasia and bubble algae but the coralline and instant bacteria is worth it compared to dead rock. I just put it in a garbage can with a heater and pump for water movement and changed the water a couple of times per week. I don't remember how long until it was completely cycled but it wasn't long.

OP
OP
jkkgron2

jkkgron2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won't lose all of the life if it is shipped 2 day priority mail. I started my tank with 20 pounds of rock from Gulf Live Rock back in April. I would say I lost very little during the "curing process". I still have 9 large bi-valves and I finally pulled out some macro algae (seaweed) that had grown too large along with sponges and other critters. It did have some aptasia and bubble algae but the coralline and instant bacteria is worth it compared to dead rock. I just put it in a garbage can with a heater and pump for water movement and changed the water a couple of times per week. I don't remember how long until it was completely cycled but it wasn't long.
That’s good to know that you had some of the life survive! If you got any, Did the corals survive, or did they not make it?

ocboat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There weren't any corals corals on the rock that I received from Gulf Live Rock. I just ordered their nano pack for my daughters tank so I'll find out soon how this order compares to my earlier one.

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, turns out my LFS does carry some Fiji live rock from the ocean. I ended up getting about a pound of it, but I’m not sure if it’d be a good idea to get more or order for gulf live rock. It looks nice, but it wouldn’t come with any of the snails, crabs, or other various critters, because they dip the rock before they put it in the tank. The pieces look nice, And the piece I got is COVERED in coralline algae. So, Is it worth getting it from my LFS, because I can pick out the pieces?
I thought Fiji live rock was no longer available to anyone. I thought they band it's export.

OP
OP
jkkgron2

jkkgron2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought Fiji live rock was no longer available to anyone. I thought they band it's export.
That’s interesting, apparently my LFS gets it in from a couple wholesalers who ship it straight from the ocean so maybe it’s still available to some?

There weren't any corals corals on the rock that I received from Gulf Live Rock. I just ordered their nano pack for my daughters tank so I'll find out soon how this order compares to my earlier one.
Let me know how it goes! Also, do you have any pics of how the rock looked when you got it and/or how it looks now?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s good to know that you had some of the life survive! If you got any, Did the corals survive, or did they not make it?
Gulfliverock
I ordered the nano package, $85 Shipped, 17 lbs of their premium deco rock. Shipped in wet paper towels, got to nh in 3 days.
Dead: a couple of clams and some crabs.
Alive and survived:coralline, limpets, clams. Helmedia, many sponges, worms, feather dusters, snails, more.
Can't beat the price, cheaper than live rock from lfs.

OP
OP
jkkgron2

jkkgron2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gulfliverock
I ordered the nano package, $85 Shipped, 17 lbs of their premium deco rock. Shipped in wet paper towels, got to nh in 3 days.
Dead: a couple of clams and some crabs.
Alive and survived:coralline, limpets, clams. Helmedia, many sponges, worms, feather dusters, snails, more.
Can't beat the price, cheaper than live rock from lfs.
Do you have any pics? Based off what you’re saying I’ll probably get it!

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s interesting, apparently my LFS gets it in from a couple wholesalers who ship it straight from the ocean so maybe it’s still available to some?

Let me know how it goes! Also, do you have any pics of how the rock looked when you got it and/or how it looks now?
I was just reading that there are a few venders that take dead rock and culture it in Fiji.. Apparently this is still allowed. But it is nothing like the Fiji rock we used to get 25 years ago.

OP
OP
jkkgron2

jkkgron2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just reading that there are a few venders that take dead rock and culture it in Fiji.. Apparently this is still allowed. But it is nothing like the Fiji rock we used to get 25 years ago.
Yeah, I believe they put in dry live rock and let it establish in Fiji. Some of the pieces they had looked really cool, and I saw some awesome looking rocks with dead coral (well... the coral skeleton? Not sure what it’s called) that I was tempted to get because of how cool the skeletons looked.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any pics? Based off what you’re saying I’ll probably get it!
(The center one, 6 of 9)
This pic from their website is exactly what it looked like as delivered, with clams, sponges and limpets described earlier.

Last edited:

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I believe they put in dry live rock and let it establish in Fiji. Some of the pieces they had looked really cool, and I saw some awesome looking rocks with dead coral (well... the coral skeleton? Not sure what it’s called) that I was tempted to get because of how cool the skeletons looked.
I am in the process of setting a 400+ gal system. I'm processing more then 200LB of dead rock now. I was planning on seeding it with my existing tanks rock but am also considering getting some live rock from the Gulf.

Processing dead rock is a lot of work:
  • Bleached to get rid of organic material
  • Rinsed multiple times to remove bleach and organic material
  • Soaked in water with a chlorine neutralizer
  • Rinse some more
  • Soak in water with phosphate neutralizer
  • Rinse some more
  • Soaked in water with vinegar to neutralize the alkalinity from the cement used to build rock structures.
  • Rinse again
  • Soaked in salt water
  • Seeded with a bacteria product
  • Seeded with coralline algae from my tank
  • Seeded with sponge and rock crumbles from my existing rock.

OP
OP
jkkgron2

jkkgron2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This pic from their website is exactly what it looked like as delivered, with clams, sponges and limpets described earlier.
That looks pretty nice, I think if you had that much life come I’ll have to get some. I might go with the Nano pack so I have more variety, even though I don’t need that much.

I am in the process of setting a 400+ gal system. I'm processing more then 200LB of dead rock now. I was planning on seeding it with my existing tanks rock but am also considering getting some live rock from the Gulf.

• Rinse some more
  • Rinse some more
  • Soaked in water with vinegar to neutralize the alkalinity from the cement used to build rock structures.
  • Rinse again
  • Soaked in salt water
Are those steps for dry rock, or live rock that’s been dried out and still has a lot of organic material?

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks pretty nice, I think if you had that much life come I’ll have to get some. I might go with the Nano pack so I have more variety, even though I don’t need that much.

Are those steps for dry rock, or live rock that’s been dried out and still has a lot of organic material?
Live rock that has been dried out. The vinegar step is because I used white cement to create large arching shapes for the new build.

Going for a hanging reef with some islands.. :)

OP
OP
jkkgron2

jkkgron2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live rock that has been dried out. The vinegar step is because I used white cement to create large arching shapes for the new build.
Ok, that’s what I was thinking :) . Not sure if I should be doing something similar for my dry rock, but I hope not because I basically just added it to the tank and I’m letting it cure.

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, that’s what I was thinking :) . Not sure if I should be doing something similar for my dry rock, but I hope not because I basically just added it to the tank and I’m letting it cure.
It will probably be fine. I know people do give acid baths to reef saver rock.

OP
OP
jkkgron2

jkkgron2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question regarding the filter media. I’m looking at doing a DIY media basket using some egg crate, and I’m not sure what media to use. Does this media seem ok?

Vwluv10338

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

• Rinse some more
  • Rinse some more
  • Rinse again
  • Soaked in salt water

I did none of that. I just cooked mine in a tote. Never even changed the water. Not sure if it makes a difference or not

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did none of that. I just cooked mine in a tote. Never even changed the water. Not sure if it makes a difference or not
Would that get rid of the phosphate in the rock? I know that would get rid of organics.. Also, not sure if that would lower the Alk from the cement.

Regardless, It would have been hard for me to cook 200 LB of rock.. :)

Back