Gurgling Noise Inside New Chiller?

ginoandres

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I just installed a 1/6 HP Resun Chiller on my tank and there's a loud gurgling noise coming from inside of it constantly. I'm not talking about when the thing kicks on, but all the time as the water is pumped through it. Is this normal? I've never run a chiller before and the noise is really loud and distracting... much louder than my entire system. I'm hoping there's a way to get it quieter.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I would check first is flow rate. It is critical that the flow rate falls in the range suggested by the manufacturer. Make sure you're using the right flow rate for that chiller. It's the Goldilocks rule....it has to be just right.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tip it in a few directions and give it a little *tap**tap*. There could be air in there. I've had it take a couple of days to completely clear sometimes and it does make a racket.

OP
OP
ginoandres

ginoandres

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does appear the flow rate on the pump is within the suggested range. I tried tipping the chiller a bit and did see air come out the return line a few times but the sound is still present. It sounds like it may just take a few days to quiet down?

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've run 6+ chillers.... if a little air came out, I bet there's more hiding. I've had it not work itself out as well, so that I had to get in there and do some major tipping. What type of chiller is it?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other thought......chillers are directional....make sure your "IN" is on the pump side and not on the "OUT" side.

OP
OP
ginoandres

ginoandres

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've run 6+ chillers.... if a little air came out, I bet there's more hiding. I've had it not work itself out as well, so that I had to get in there and do some major tipping. What type of chiller is it?

Resun CL450.

OP
OP
ginoandres

ginoandres

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. For others' reference, the gurgling cleared up after tipping the machine a few times and letting it run for 12 hours.

Back