Gym Talk Thread

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have my own gym in my shop. I do a body part, 7 day split. Rotate one body part to work twice a week every week. Heavy weight, low reps (6-8) with a couple drops sets after each exercise. Whatever body part gets worked twice, really heavy-low reps first workout then low weight-high reps (20-25) the second day working them. Usually 4-5 sets per exercise and anywhere from 5-8 exercises depending on what body part I’m working

Last edited:

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the elliptical machine if I run indoors. But I know that lifting weights keeps the metabolism going after the workout possibly better than running.
any personal trainers here??

corey

I'm not a fan of cardio but I do use the elliptical. And even more in the winter because I'm less active. My resting heart rate is in the low 60's and around 110-120 during cardio. And that's a talkable pace for me. I know it's good for my heart, but I'm as much or more interested in the weight loss aspect. I gain easy.

This last year I tried a "fit bit" for a period of time. I was interested in tracking my sleep, or lack of. But one interesting thing I found is my heart rate during weight training was much higher then during cardio. It was a sustained 135-155 throughout the workout. I would think that would mean it's better then cardio for my heart health? I'm not a trainer or do I have that much in depth knowledge but it was a pleasant surprise.

I'm a volume lifter. 10-12 reps for upper body parts and when I do legs (not as much as I used too) 25 reps per set. Usually 6 sets per body part and training one body part per workout except on shoulder/arm day.

I only kept the fit bit for a few weeks. Just not my thing.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad I found this thread.

For years I followed a bodybuilding routine in the gym and kitchen. I never competed - no way I would have gotten on a stage in a bikini and smile LOL - but I probably could have, at least in natural shows. When that got old I switched to triathlon and cycling. I wasn't fast in tris but could hold my own in a road race, crit or time trial. After I did Ironman WI in 2009 I felt like I had accomplished my goal, and shifted to bike racing.

When I hit my mid forties I realized I was really sick of spending 1-7 hours training for something, 6 days a week. Instead of looking for moderation I just quit. Fast forward 4 years and 20 pounds. It is no coincidence that I found reefing in that time, and it was so much more interesting than the gym!

I'm still looking for a comfortable balance. I'd like to lose some weight (I was super lean before, so though 20 pounds sounds like a lot I'm not really overweight now) but it isn't my focus. My knees have decided that running distances is no longer an option, so I limit myself to 3 miles twice a week. I've started doing Bikram (aka "hot") yoga and I love the new challenge.

Still looking for a healthy balance when it comes to my diet though.

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad I found this thread.

For years I followed a bodybuilding routine in the gym and kitchen. I never competed - no way I would have gotten on a stage in a bikini and smile LOL - but I probably could have, at least in natural shows. When that got old I switched to triathlon and cycling. I wasn't fast in tris but could hold my own in a road race, crit or time trial. After I did Ironman WI in 2009 I felt like I had accomplished my goal, and shifted to bike racing.

When I hit my mid forties I realized I was really sick of spending 1-7 hours training for something, 6 days a week. Instead of looking for moderation I just quit. Fast forward 4 years and 20 pounds. It is no coincidence that I found reefing in that time, and it was so much more interesting than the gym!

I'm still looking for a comfortable balance. I'd like to lose some weight (I was super lean before, so though 20 pounds sounds like a lot I'm not really overweight now) but it isn't my focus. My knees have decided that running distances is no longer an option, so I limit myself to 3 miles twice a week. I've started doing Bikram (aka "hot") yoga and I love the new challenge.

Still looking for a healthy balance when it comes to my diet though.
20 lbs is terrible when you're not used to walking around with it on you (even worse when you go to run with that extra weight on your joints.) I try to keep up a cycle for about two month or so. That's the point I start to peak and/or get bored with a routine, so I switch it up. I've figured in my go-to's over the last 20 years or so, so I rotate through about 4-6 a year. I've built out a full gym at home over the years so my only excuse for letting myself slip on a workout is laziness. The diet is a whole different can of worms. I like cheese. I like bread. I like meats. But worse, I like beer, which leads to those other things in droves after enough of them. I can keep up the workouts, but the diet is killing me. My goal now is just to maintain that looks to be in pretty good shape now, but was probably a beast earlier on look. I'm fine with that at this point. My son is slowly becoming an animal, so I may have to step up my game soon though....

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 lbs is terrible when you're not used to walking around with it on you (even worse when you go to run with that extra weight on your joints.)

Tell me about it! I feel jiggly and gross. I have had arthritis since my 20's but it is so much worse now....edging into knee replacement time.

The thing that kicked me back into gear was really my health. My blood pressure was going up as was my resting heart rate. I'm a cardiac (used to be critical care) nurse, I simply refuse to go down that road. Since I've started working out more -inaddition to short runs and yoga, I ride and elliptical - my heart rate is down as is my bp.

The jiggling hasn't gone away though :(

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell me about it! I feel jiggly and gross. I have had arthritis since my 20's but it is so much worse now....edging into knee replacement time.

The thing that kicked me back into gear was really my health. My blood pressure was going up as was my resting heart rate. I'm a cardiac (used to be critical care) nurse, I simply refuse to go down that road. Since I've started working out more -inaddition to short runs and yoga, I ride and elliptical - my heart rate is down as is my bp.

The jiggling hasn't gone away though :(
The dang jiggling drives me crazy. My wife yells at me when I say I need to lose the extra weight (to be fair, I'm still in all the same clothes and it doesn't LOOK like it when I say I'm getting fat, but I feel it all. Hell, I'm almost 40 (you've got some years on me) but I still have a few shirts from high school that I still wear. It's not how it looks, but how it feels on you. I'm a physical person, and still need to be for work, and I feel every extra pound I put on - muscle and fat. They both get painful when I gain too much, but at least lean muscle doesn't jiggle. It's just getting harder and harder to reverse those poor choices. My joints, diet, and energy level are about to have a summit here soon and I'll find out who wins.

Drew Halliday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do three basic routines.
1. Chest, triceps and shoulders
2. Biceps, upper back and abs
3. Legs and lower back

I switch muscle groups between sets so they can rest and to keep my heart rate over 120.

I used to go to the gym 3-5 times a week but now because of the virus all I have is yard work to keep me active.

OP
OP
Evan28395950

Evan28395950

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone’s gyms still open? How is everyone’s workout looking like due to the current event?

Arthacker87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just go to the gym 4 days a week (before corona) and do the basics. I feel strong for a 200lb short guy :D :D . Got up into the 300s in bench and squat,, and 400s in deadlift go real excited until I had a mild tear in my pec muscle lol. But I'm anxious to get back into lifting. My body aches for it as weird as that sounds

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just go to the gym 4 days a week (before corona) and do the basics. I feel strong for a 200lb short guy :D :D . Got up into the 300s in bench and squat,, and 400s in deadlift go real excited until I had a mild tear in my pec muscle lol. But I'm anxious to get back into lifting. My body aches for it as weird as that sounds
Nice!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back