Gym Talk Thread

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please do try let me know. Everyone just jeers at the idea at work pretty much, and they're all missing out on awesomeness

Meatshake desensitization process :)=

Make your favorite normal shake and then input like six tiny cubes of cooked no oil no season fatless chicken and grind/sample you literally can't tell anything. Add in half the container of chicken as soon as you're desensitized. You can taste it ~but it's earthy and never dry I promise. You know it's so healthy that this alone becomes motivation to keep making them.

OP
OP
Evan28395950

Evan28395950

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please do try let me know. Everyone just jeers at the idea at work pretty much, and they're all missing out on awesomeness

Meatshake desensitization process :)=

Make your favorite normal shake and then input like six tiny cubes of cooked no oil no season fatless chicken and grind/sample you literally can't tell anything. Add in half the container of chicken as soon as you're desensitized. You can taste it ~but it's earthy and never dry I promise. You know it's so healthy that this alone becomes motivation to keep making them.
I’ll try it this weekend hopefully

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing ok.

Pulled something in my back, but I've been working around it as much as possible. I'm still able to squat and deadlift, but have to keep accessories to minimum where they load the spine. I've been doing a lot of sled pulls and gpp work to fill in the gaps.

Starting a new cycle come Monday. Should be an interesting 12 weeks.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering, if you listen to music when you workout, what type is it? I personally like edm, fast beats keep me going! :)

I'm only banging music for two or three sets a month. I usually have something on in the background, but not loud enough to distract from the work I'm doing.

When it's time to max out, then the music gets cranked up and the ammonia caps come out

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 7 miles every other day, lift three days a week — I’ve been doing this for ten years.

Funny though, I’m strong but I’m also still a bit chunky. I eat like twenty humans. It’s fine the only reason exercise as I do is so I can eat like a cow and live many years with my babies and eventually their grand babies.

At the gym from super meatheads I have heard many times “oh (expletive), you don’t LOOK that strong...”

What? Thanks LOL

Last edited:
OP
OP
Evan28395950

Evan28395950

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm only banging music for two or three sets a month. I usually have something on in the background, but not loud enough to distract from the work I'm doing.

When it's time to max out, then the music gets cranked up and the ammonia caps come out
Yeah I can’t do deadlifts or squats with barbell due to rod in back, only with dumbbells. Which ends up making my arms fail first.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New here.

Lifting 30 plus years, on and off. the on and off comes thanks to 2 knee surgeries, 1 shoulder, hernia, stomach, 2 sinus surgeries. Been back since my hernia surgery 3 years now. I had my shoulder last year but continued to lift until surgery and shortly after.

Back in the day it was boiled chicken, jars and jars of peanut butter and gallons of milk. Now it’s whey and casein protein shakes, bcaa and nitric oxide, and creatine. All heavy lifting, cardio is not my thing. Lots of MMA and MuyTai workouts on the bag. I’m somewhere over 50 now and shooting for 365 dead lift, currently at 335 1RM now. If my should and knee don’t fall off hoping by xmas

My weakness is chicken wings so diet is out the window, I, married so no big deal.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing ok.

Pulled something in my back, but I've been working around it as much as possible. I'm still able to squat and deadlift, but have to keep accessories to minimum where they load the spine. I've been doing a lot of sled pulls and gpp work to fill in the gaps.

Starting a new cycle come Monday. Should be an interesting 12 weeks.

Well, turns out that "pull" in my back was a herniated disc, so most of the last two months was spent resting and rehab and mobility work.

Finally got a solid week in this week. I'm starting things light and taking it slow.

Tues- squats 3x5, deadlift 5x10, and ab wheel 5x5
Wed- military press 3x5, bench press 5x10, pullups x 50 total reps

Fri - deadlift 3x5, squats 5x10, hanging let raises x 50

One more day to go for tomorrow, and it will be the first full week of training I've gotten in, in almost 4 months.

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool thread just found it. My hardest workout ever was delivery day for my WaterBox 230.6. Haha didn’t think it through on the “how to get it from the mailbox to the house!!
I have worked out all my life at least since military days. Currently and for the last 10 yrs or so one of my jobs is principal investigator at a University studying the musculoskeletal and neurological effects do exercise ...primarily muscle building.

Personally, I do triathlons and body building. I am also north of 50 now just south of 60! I win some natural shows now and then. Can’t compete in open shows too many chemicals being used I can’t compete with. As a physician, I can’t risk the backlash of loss of license for using ped’s nor do I feel the need Because I do this for fun and health.

As for workouts it is now known That in order to gain both size and strength (yes Fordfamily that is why you can be strong as you are) you have to do 20-40 sets per muscle group and the workout has to at least in part be at the 80% of the 1 rep max (RM). Also, the first few months gains are mostly training the neuromuscular junction and any increase in strength is mostly due to accommodation.

Yikes sorry soapbox off! I love this stuff and once I get going can’t stop.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
New here.

Lifting 30 plus years, on and off. the on and off comes thanks to 2 knee surgeries, 1 shoulder, hernia, stomach, 2 sinus surgeries. Been back since my hernia surgery 3 years now. I had my shoulder last year but continued to lift until surgery and shortly after.

Back in the day it was boiled chicken, jars and jars of peanut butter and gallons of milk. Now it’s whey and casein protein shakes, bcaa and nitric oxide, and creatine. All heavy lifting, cardio is not my thing. Lots of MMA and MuyTai workouts on the bag. I’m somewhere over 50 now and shooting for 365 dead lift, currently at 335 1RM now. If my should and knee don’t fall off hoping by xmas

My weakness is chicken wings so diet is out the window, I, married so no big deal.

I, on the other hand, just focus on being pretty!!! :cool:

P.S. Not that I am actually any prettier, but having that as a goal has helped with my fitness along the way. ;Meh

OP
OP
Evan28395950

Evan28395950

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s everyone doing currently? I just had pneumonia for 2 weeks, I eased back into it the first week but I’m back to pushing it to the maximum. Going to incorporate more running (2-3 days a week) in order to prepare for a Thanksgiving 5k. Also I tried to watch highlights of WUS in Dubai. Will be watching the Arnold’s when they come around.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a little testing today.

Trap bar deadlift - 385x2
Close grip bench - 255 x 1
Squat - 315x1

Work has been crazy, one of my son's had two seizures before Thanksgiving so we've been in and out of Dr visits the past month so lifting had been 2x a week. The numbers are nowhere near my bests, but they are what they are. I'll use these to start the new plan this coming week.

The squat is going to be a mental thing for me after tearing my quad. I will openly admit I was scared when I took 315 out of the rack today. My leg shook on the way down, but I didn't have any pain or shifting off of the leg so that's good.

I'll think about seeing some goals later today. I write them down and keep them on my desk in my office so I see them everyday.

How's everyone else doing?

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found this thread so I'll jump in. 5+ years ago I got into CrossFit - loved it, but stopped when life got too crazy (building a house, moving, etc.). Finally in July this year I got back into it because I was tired of feeling like crap. Loving it again. Only three days per week but it has worked wonders to re-awaken my muscles and trim off about 15lbs of fat.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now im beat up and trying to maintain my strength. I guess age and stress has finally caught up with me. The volume and frequency I use to do destroys me now. Thanks insomniac kids.

I train like brian alsruhe with giant sets and conditioning. I put a new power rack by my sw tank.

I usually do a conjugate style upper/lower. ME day then a slow eccentric, pause, or explosive day.

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stepped up my weight lifting training. I'll be 57 next month and that's a stones throw from 60. Maybe I'll compete in the 60 yr old class at the nationals. That's if I can keep my joints from completely failing. I was 53 when I last competed.

I was getting some hip pain but after a long break from training legs it's gone. I've gotten back on the cardio in the form of the elliptical machine. A few years ago I had no pain, but if I push too hard any joint will hurt now. Gotta keep training smart, lots of warm up and no pushing through the pain.

My diet is still on point for a bodybuilder. Protein at every meal and getting my carbs in. Trying to keep fat low, but I'm not writing things down. Prep is intense enough. I like to stay just a little loose when I'm not competing. Gotta live a little!

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s everyone doing currently? I just had pneumonia for 2 weeks, I eased back into it the first week but I’m back to pushing it to the maximum. Going to incorporate more running (2-3 days a week) in order to prepare for a Thanksgiving 5k. Also I tried to watch highlights of WUS in Dubai. Will be watching the Arnold’s when they come around.

Pneumonia is no joke! I had it a couple of years back. Wiped me out for several weeks. The antibiotics they gave me at first were too weak. They helped but then it rebounded back. I had to take a very intense course of antibiotics then to knock it down. I hope never again. Coughed for 6 weeks. My abs looked great!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back