Gyre Configuration in 90g

infinityends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My right side MP40 has a westside that is starting to make some noise. And it is the older style non quiet drive, so if I was going to spend $75 for a wetside, I would have probably just bought a new QD pump and sold the WES driver and dryside.

Anyway, I've been interested in Gyre pumps so I picked up the pair of XF350s and a CoralVue WaveEngine that a member of my local club posted for sale.

I did a quick (crappy) sketch of the rock layout in my 90g below. I have the first Gyre at the top of the tank centered to the right of the overflow box. I was initially thinking of mounting the other pump vertically on the far left side tucked partially behind the rockwork. I did get the pump to fit there once I removed the flow director from the side tucked behind the rock.

Flow overall seems ok with the current setup, corals seem like they are happy enough with he current flow pattern after turning off the MP40a. I'm tempted to move the pump on the right side to the far right side (top of the right side panel) to reduce the visibility in the tank.

tank-sketch-pumps.png

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The XF350 is going to be a lot of flow for your tank. I have a 100g WB and use a XF330 as the main opposite side I used the XF350 (though I do so sparingly now as it's too strong). Now I've dropped two MP10QDs into the tank one at the bottom right in the back and the other on the left side pointing foward for the future SPS rock We're running mostly LPS at this point, on mid sized sand substrate. Long story short I might suggest the XF330 for your tank. Unless you're planning a SPS dominant tank.

IMG-1635.jpg

OP
OP
I

infinityends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the pair of XF350s is oversized, but they were too good of a deal to pass up at half off of retail price with only a couple months of use on them. I am running them at a max ramp up of 55% and it seems to be a similar amount of flow (based on the movement and extension of the more flowy corals like my hammer and frogspawn) and other than some shifting of sand from different flow pattern nothing seems to be impacted negatively.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might want to rethink the one tucked behind the rocks. While the gyres give great flow, they need frequent cleaning or the flow greatly decreases pretty quickly. If it's easy to pull out from behind the rock, disregard. If your corals like the flow, then go with it.

OP
OP
I

infinityends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luckily it is pretty easy to remove the pump I tucked behind the rock work and only half of it is actually behind the rock.

Anyone have thoughts on moving the pump currently on the rear panel to the right side panel?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back