Gyre Help for 45g Frag Tank

Tatumj96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 45 gallon frag tank which for a mixed reef. It has the footprint of a 75g though, 48"x18"X12"deep. I have three questions:

1. If I replace my two Koralia evo 1150's with one 1500-2000gph gyre, such as a maxspect jump 2K, would that provide enough flow?

2. Since this tank is fairly shallow, will I have to use two gyre to get appropriate flow everywhere? Would one gyre centered at the top back wall have enough effect on the far edges of the tank? Or could I place one gyre on the sidewalk and it be able to push water the whole 4 feet across the tank?

3. You can buy gyre without controllers, so how essential is a controller? Without one, does it just run at 100% constant flow?

Thanks for any and all help, and I'd love suggestions on cheaper yet dependable gyre pumps that may fit my needs!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My simple answer, stick with the Koralia pumps. I think in a tank that size and depth, 2 smaller units is better than 1 gyre, and 2 gyres is way over kill. And yes, you require the controllers. And IMHO gyres are for inclined to need cleaning and are harder to keep running properly. The motors are so low on torque and they have a lot of internal friction. A small misalignment can cause big issues.

But that's just my opinion. I have a couple and don't even use them any more!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 34.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back