Gyre placement help

Brandont21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have 3 gyres at my disposal. Mostly sps tank. Overflow is top right, return is top left. How would you place the 3 for best overall flow. My problem using 2 now is im lacking flow towards the center, and the two gyres meeting in the center is not allowing much of the detritus and other things to reach the overflow. What do you guys think?

OP
OP
Brandont21

Brandont21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
125 gallon, 6 foot tank. Jebao scp 180m and a 120m. I have a maxspect original thats not in the tank yet

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what I'd do... put the most powerful gyre on the same side as the return, on the side glass within the top 25% of the glass. Put the other on the opposite side, slightly offset both horizontally and vertically. Program the timers so that they each run solo(with the other turned off) for some amount of time regularly. This will allow the powerful gyre to force detritus to the drain side without interference from the other gyre occasionally.

As far as the 3rd gyre, perhaps put it in a vertical orientation on the back side of the drain side side glass to sweep detritus out from behind the rockscape.

Just a thought!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back