Gyre pump options

  • Thread starter Thread starter bureau13
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

bureau13

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 22, 2023
Messages
193
Reaction score
87
Location
South Florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a 240 gallon tall bowfront, and flow is courtesy of an MP40 on each end and a Super Dart return pump. The issue is that with the tall tank format, I'm not getting as much flow down low in the tank as I really should. I was thinking of putting a pair of gyre pumps along the back wall on either side of the center overflow. It would seem not a lot of water would need to be pushed (it's pretty narrow front to back) to improve things, so I'd like to not spend an arm and a leg, but the counterpoint to the lower flow models is that the acrylic is pretty thick. I THINK the back wall is 3/4". At least, the sides are, and the bowfront itself is 1/2". So often times the less powerful pumps assume a smaller tank and so don't work with thick acrylic.

The other factor is I'm running a Neptune controller, although it doesn't have to run through it. My MP40s don't.

Any thoughts on the best choice of gyre for this? I don't need any fancy programming modes, but something not crazy expensive and decently reliable.

Also, let me know if you think this is the wrong approach entirely. Maybe I should just get another pair of MP40s on the sides? I thought about putting them on the back but there's not enough room between the wall and the rear of the tank.
 
I ended up getting the Jecod SCP-150 which seems to be about the same thing. It's the smallest size with enough magnetic hold to stay on my tank. I'm not necessarily a huge fan of the way they look in my tank, but the flow is amazing. Too amazing, if I'm honest. It's pushing the sand away from the front glass and up against the rocks. I have it on random mode, and the lowest output setting possible (30). Still too strong. My tank is a bit narrow front to back for this. That said, the flow around the corals is great, so I'm keeping it in there. I might consider putting them vertically in the back corners so they blow the length of the tank, but then they're essentially doubling up the MP40s so not sure that's as good in terms of flow.
 

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new