Gyre XF-130 after a Year.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) No it wouldn't make things better. But now I can't even get bushings for my paddles as they've discontinued them.
So I'm being forced to either make due with the degraded bushings I have now or use the newly designed Paddles. Which having tried them are not even comparable to the original models.
2) Upgrades should be offered at a discounted price to anyone showing proof of purchase/ownership. Especially since certain parts have been discontinued.
I agree, that is why I asked the question. What do you think would be be best coarse of actions to get maxspects attention?

fiji4118

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) No it wouldn't make things better. But now I can't even get bushings for my paddles as they've discontinued them.
So I'm being forced to either make due with the degraded bushings I have now or use the newly designed Paddles. Which having tried them are not even comparable to the original models.
2) Upgrades should be offered at a discounted price to anyone showing proof of purchase/ownership. Especially since certain parts have been discontinued.
Interesting. I wasn't aware that I could not get new, original paddles. I have four sets and I had seen the "new, heavy duty" but I thought they were just different not the only ones. I assume complaints fall on deaf ears? Support has really been the biggest issue I've seen but this is concerning.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What gets me is in the manuel they say, when the pump gets too noisy, its a good time to replace the bearings and shafts. The price of bearings is 6$, but a new shaft is 60$! Thats crazy when a new controller is 80$.

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think would be be best coarse of actions to get maxspects attention?

Stop buying the products, I've been very dissatisfied with maxspect, and have had better performance, service, and replacements from jebao...that's saying something.

With replacement shaft at 60 bucks? Bring on the rw8s.

ajcanale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1, was lucky enough to aquire a 150 a few weeks before release. Has been running between 70-100% with no issues, not even issues with the wire housing degrading, suprisingly. I take it out and spray it down with warm water every couple months. Added a second 150 unit about 8 months ago, no issues with it either. However, I do know a couple people who have had a ton of issues with 130's

vladandlilith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several of both the 150 and 130. You have to give them a vinegar bath and clean them with an old tooth brush about once a month. My original paddles did break, but Carlos Chicon at Coral Vue replaced them with no problems. Also, it is only hard to slide the cages off if you let stuff build up on them. I'm very happy with them, but I do think they are over priced.

OP
OP
NanaReefer

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I wasn't aware that I could not get new, original paddles. I have four sets and I had seen the "new, heavy duty" but I thought they were just different not the only ones. I assume complaints fall on deaf ears? Support has really been the biggest issue I've seen but this is concerning.

I had initially contacted them as I was wanting to buy new bushings for my paddles. I was informed "we no longer make them and that the new Rugged Bushings would work" I said no they will not because the new Rugged Bushings are totally different. So I was told to send them the serial number from my unit along with my address and they'll send me a new set of paddles. Which they did. Free of charge.
However once received the difference was amazing. The new paddles are just 4 finned and the bushings are wing nut shaped.
I replaced old with the new and was sickened. The flow difference was crazy. No matter what I did I couldn't get the flow to reach the opposite end of my 40B.
I put my old paddles back on and am hoping the bushings last till at least the end of the year.
They also had to replace my controller as it stopped working. This pump is just a year old. I've kept it very clean.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had initially contacted them as I was wanting to buy new bushings for my paddles. I was informed "we no longer make them and that the new Rugged Bushings would work" I said no they will not because the new Rugged Bushings are totally different. So I was told to send them the serial number from my unit along with my address and they'll send me a new set of paddles. Which they did. Free of charge.
However once received the difference was amazing. The new paddles are just 4 finned and the bushings are wing nut shaped.
I replaced old with the new and was sickened. The flow difference was crazy. No matter what I did I couldn't get the flow to reach the opposite end of my 40B.
I put my old paddles back on and am hoping the bushings last till at least the end of the year.
They also had to replace my controller as it stopped working. This pump is just a year old. I've kept it very clean.
stupid question time; when I purchased my gyre's there were two sets of blades. One set for forward and one set for reverse. Did they send you one set or both sets?

NealH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny that I see this thread today. My 130 just crapped out yesterday. It worked well for a year. The paddles and bushings are shot and I'm having to run the reverse ones that came with it just to get by until I can get something that works. Even with the reverse, only one side really works. I think I'm going with a couple of RW-8s now.

jnw240reef

SPS Killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 1 in my 40g frag tank and feel like its not enough. detritus gathers at the other side. When I ran 2x mp40 I didn't have that issue

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can they be run on an Apex? If so has anyone done it and can share the experience. I have been thinking of getting 2 130's but have been put off by stories of them being flimsy and difficult to clean as a result.

gojk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can they be run on an Apex? If so has anyone done it and can share the experience. I have been thinking of getting 2 130's but have been put off by stories of them being flimsy and difficult to clean as a result.
Run mine through my Apex, but it did require buying a separate control module.

tigre44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my 150 for over a yr and after reading this I cleaned it for the first time all looked good and so far looking good. It is an older model. I have never been able to get it to go into pulsing mode. I run mine in forward/reverse mode. This is on a 60 gal tk running at lowest flow rate.

acolotto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run mine through my Apex, but it did require buying a separate control module.
Run on my apex, and that is what make these pumps amazing imo. They move massive amounts of water, and with the constant changing of pulse, reverse, and constant at different speeds my xf150 on my 4ft 90 has no dead spots and no detritus build up. I run at a max 50% for 20 mins a day, my longest period of is a 40 to 30% pulse. I keep all SPS corals so flow is a must, and this bad boy handles it like a champ. I have had mine since release, cleaned twice, no wire cracking, no slowing down, and still haven't even touched any of the back-up parts they give you when you purchase. I also have a an xf130 on a 30" x 18" x 12" frag tank, that i bought the cap for thexf130 so i only had to run one side of the pump and do not have onn single drop of detritus that gathers anywhere. In both tanks, the gyres keeps everything suspended in the water column in my experience and would highly recommend this pump to anyone.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back