Gyre XF-130 after a Year.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic pump...if all you want is to push water around in one direction.
After a year of running this pump on my 40B I have to say I am very disappointed. Especially after all the hype. Something I've never fallen prey to before until now.

1) I started out running it at 30% max as the flow was so strong. Today I'm up to 60% as it seems to have lost power over the last year.
2) Pushes water yes but keeps very little if anything suspended in the water column. Just keeps moving it until it gets caught up in the rock at the opposite end from the pump. Which for me has led to major detritus buildup in that area.
3) Paddle life is short. Bushing life is even shorter. Seems the constant water pressure causes them to warp over time. Also noticed the rubber bushings become easily degraded by calcium deposits. Removing them means destroying them. Which is a big problem as they no longer make them for my pump.
4) Must replace old paddles with new (not so improved) paddles in order to get rubber bushings that fit. Bushings & Paddles have all been replaced, remade.
5) It was easier for me to remove, rebuild and replace a carburetor on a 67 Chevy then it was to change out the paddles on this pump. What a PITA! I won't be doing it again. Hopefully it'll run as is until next year when I'll be able to go back to the tried and true.

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the honest review! I've been waiting for the price to come down a bit.....or for the jebao. I'll now pass on both!

las

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thought everyone loved the gyre. Thanks for the review

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem with mine after a year. I pull them apart and clean both of my 130's every quarter. :)

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I gave mine a vinegar bath once a month I didn't see a decrease in flow. If I let it go longer than that, build up would occur on the paddles and a significant loss of flow was noticed.

rqc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your bad experience with gyre's...I am seriously looking for one right now. Anyone?

charleslotz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great review ,... I have 2 x150 on 8' on opposite sides and agree with some posts cleaning them 1 per month in vinegar is essential for flow... , they move allot more water more than my mp60's, as I have center overflow the pickup of debris is effective. I also don't like the fact that there is no night mode ,... I use timer to switch off at night ,... Mine have been running around 10 and 8 months at 100%..

BetURWrasse

Dysfunctional Veteran
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely see how you would get buildup with just one, I also use 2x 150 in my tank on opposite sides using the modules to change up flow patterns throughout the day.

I also definitely notice that once you get a little buildup on them the flow is effected immensely. I just replace a XF130 (more on that below) with the other 150 for the tank and when it kicked on at the same power as the 150 that has been in my tank since July the flow output difference was night and day. I had the settings at 85% on the old 150 and needed to kick it back to 60% because the new 150 was moving too much water.

On the 130. I have two 130's. The one I just replaced with the 150 was causing me all kinds of issues. It was loud, it would randomly stop, and when started back up it would run in reverse for some reason for a little bit.

The other 130 I had in my 30L which I tore down in July but just started back up yesterday as a QT. I placed that older 130 in the QT to mix some salt up and it is running fine.

So out of my experience with 2x130's and 2x150's:

1) You must keep them clean to maintain flow. And I mean spotless. My MP30 runs with no issues covered in algae but once it starts on a gyre you have to get it clean.

2) The blades. I have had a couple blades on my 130's broken by snails. And I have just had snail get wedged in the 130's causing them to jam.

3) I have also seen the blades on the 130's warp and then start grinding against the cages.

So do I recommend them: YES. But you must keep the things I mentioned in mind. I also firmly believe you need 2 or you will get that buildup @NanaReefer mentioned. I would also recommend the modules so yo can set up different flow patterns.

I had thought of going to the Apex Wav just because of all the apex stuff I run now but until they come out with a dedicated backup I'm not even thinking of changing these out.

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a 130, been running it for a week, I really love the spread of the flow and it does a great job circulating my entire tank, more so than the single RW-8 I had. I'll be sure to clean it often :).

salt

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 150's, loved the flow, hated the controller. I too found I HAD TO keep them spotless otherwise after a few weeks they would intermittently stop running at 30%.

Aquarium Art

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're really great in some aspects like moving water and creating really good flow for sps.
My only real request is that the controller gets some features added to it. This wont stop me from putting them in all my tanks though :D:D:D:D:D
We do clean them every time we service a tank though just out of habit

OP
OP
NanaReefer

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see running 2 XF-130's on a 40B. My loss of power was in no way due to build up of any kind. It gets a vinegar bath every month. This is how I first noticed the warped blades.
Crazy maybe but I even designed my rock scape with this pump in mind. In hopes of avoiding any dead areas. Minimal rock. Zero against the glass. Very open center.
Maybe I just need something more directional.
They must have some idea about the paddle having issues. Their new design speaks for itself.

FYI-top paddle pic before I cleaned it [emoji6]
Old paddle on top. New design on bottom.
f9bbdb554544dbf2fbf049392994d12b.jpg

fiji4118

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on needing two. I have two 150s in my 150. If the controllers would stay synced I'd be happier. Waiting on the advanced controller to control both. And they do need to be clean

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me ask this question ; what really makes your blood boil?
Again I have not had an issue,
1. If maxspect offered up grades to existing owners, would that make things better
2. Should these up grades be greatly discounted, controllers, new heads, etc for current owners of older equipments?

reef_junkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thought everyone loved the gyre. Thanks for the review
Good lord no. The average lifespan of the first gen was 6 months. The consensus is that maxspect rushed the prototype. My local coral vendor has a box of broken gyers he bought as new. I do know one guy personally that is still using his at 1 year old.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had the xf 150 and xf 130 currently. The 150 had way more power, and i liked it better.

I haven't cleaned my 130 for 6 months, but it's definitely time as flow has slowed down. I cant get over the cost of new bearings though...

OP
OP
NanaReefer

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me ask this question ; what really makes your blood boil?
Again I have not had an issue,
1. If maxspect offered up grades to existing owners, would that make things better
2. Should these up grades be greatly discounted, controllers, new heads, etc for current owners of older equipments?

1) No it wouldn't make things better. But now I can't even get bushings for my paddles as they've discontinued them.
So I'm being forced to either make due with the degraded bushings I have now or use the newly designed Paddles. Which having tried them are not even comparable to the original models.
2) Upgrades should be offered at a discounted price to anyone showing proof of purchase/ownership. Especially since certain parts have been discontinued.

Back