Gyre..

Triggerjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just about had it with my Maxspect Gyre. Had to take it apart at 3am to install yet another rotor. I'm out of spare parts at this point, and undecided if I want to invest any more money in this pump. The motor seems to be having issues at this point as well. When it was first installed I could only run it at 30% forward, 40% reverse or the tank would become a sandstorm. Today I run it at 100% and the flow isn't enough. Aside from my sump return this is the only means of water movement in the tank. Seriously considering other options.. Any recommendations?

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea why the rotors keep breaking? Any small snails in the tank that could be getting in it? Sorry to hear about your troubles.

OP
OP
Triggerjay

Triggerjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea why the rotors keep breaking? Any small snails in the tank that could be getting in it? Sorry to hear about your troubles.
I have a million Cerith snails in the tank.. Removal isn't an option. This still doesn't explain the drop in flow though. With a brand new set of rotors, and new bushings, the flow is still FAR away from what it was when new.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not experienced this, but personally I would wait it out until the new rotors come and see if they help. If that doesn't then sell it. Have you talked with the manufacture to see what might be up with the motor and blades?

bayoupr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cerith snails have been known to get into the rotors and break them. I know some others that had this problem with snails so they went ahead and sold their Gyre. As for the drop in flow problem, not sure about that unless there's a build up of something on the rotor in the motor housing?

OP
OP
Triggerjay

Triggerjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No buildup unless it's within the motor housing. There is about 3/8" side to side play in the motor, and when it is all the way to one side, there is drag on the motor. I believe it is due to gravity wearing on the motor when run in a vertical position. I have replaced this pump with a jeabo wp-25 dual wave maker and my gyre resides in it's pretty little metal box.

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar thing happen, my gyre was awesome till its first cleaning then after the flow declined tremendously, starting making noises and microbubbles till I realized I had put it back together wrong. Not sure but take it out and with the pump facing you, the left side should have the housing with an "A" on it and the right with a "B". Now it's running like it did from the start

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their customer support has been great with me, give that a try as well

Urbanknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar thing happen, my gyre was awesome till its first cleaning then after the flow declined tremendously, starting making noises and microbubbles till I realized I had put it back together wrong. Not sure but take it out and with the pump facing you, the left side should have the housing with an "A" on it and the right with a "B". Now it's running like it did from the start

+1 When all else fails, call the manufacturer.

OP
OP
Triggerjay

Triggerjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main problem was snails. At the moment, I have found an alternative use for my gyre as it has been replaced by Jeabo pumps:

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a million Cerith snails in the tank.. Removal isn't an option. This still doesn't explain the drop in flow though. With a brand new set of rotors, and new bushings, the flow is still FAR away from what it was when new.

I had the issue.. My gyre kept getting slower and slower and i kept turning it up more and more. I would take it apart and clean it and same thing.. Finely took it all apart even the motor housing and cleaned it and right back to the way it was new. Seems like they need to be cleaned allot and clean the whole thing like in the video... It needs regular maintenance.

They are bring out new stronger rotors too...

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back