H. erectus

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if there are ay seahorse people on the boards.

I've got (4) adults-two females/two males. One of the females came from a different source. I've had them for only three months or so, but they were tank raised and came from a loving home (they'd only had them for about a year). the female from a different source does not associate with the others. The other female and one of the males have been mating consistently, but the second male is not happy about not having a buddy for some eggs, so he tries to break up the mating couple when they are trying to pass the eggs. They missed he handoff the time before last (he's pregnant for sure now, though-expecting the next batch tomorrow:)).

What can I do to get the non social female to join the crowd? The entire time I've had her and that the people I got them from had her, she hung out on the power cord to a powerhead near the top of the tank. I never see her eat (she shows no interest), but is fat, so she's getting it from somewhere.

Should I try separating the other (yellow) male from the group after greenie births the babies? He and the green female typically hand off 5-6 hours after he births them. The yellow male (the one not getting any action) is only aggressive during mating.

TIA

vonjankmon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had seahorses for about 2 years now, single pair for most of that and recently got another pair of erectus. For seahorse advice check out seahorse.org, best place on the net for information.

In my opinion your lone female was probably not captive bred and raised. She is more than likely eating amphipods and copepods in the tank right now, thus why she is fat but not eating the mysis your are feeding. Also what type of mysis are you feeding them? If you are not feeding PE mysis try that, most seahorses (other than dwarves) LOVE PE mysis. It might be a long road to get the female onto frozen food but it is something to work on as eventually she may clear out your pod population.

As for your impending babies, I would set up a separate tank for your preggers guy. Collecting all of the babies to feed and have a chance at raising them in an open tank is nil, if one out of the group survived it would be a miracle. A 10 or 20 gallon were the male could give birth and then you could remove him back to the DT to raise the babies would work, at least for a while until they got bigger. You will also need to start getting things together to culture Baby Brine Shrimp (BBS) for the babies. More indepth info and advice can be found on Seahorse.org.

peachyreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1
I have H. Comes who have been having babies for the past two months. That site is by far the best on the web for seahorse info.

At least mine do that too. If they see one male showing off, normally the others join in puffing up their pouches and changing colors. Even if the female only couples with her "mate"

OP
OP
gflat65

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thansk for the replies. I've wondered if the non social female was different in some way. She was supposed CB, but that could have been misinformation. She has tassles all over her body, unlike the other three. They change colors to some extent, where she doesn't so much (can increase black or white areas, but real color variation).

PE mysis is their favorite. They get at least two feedings a day (more often if they are moving around in the same area looking hungry).

I just successfuly killed the second batch I've removed from the tank. I was originally going to remove the male from the tank the night before I expected the birthing, but was afraid he might be stressed without the company of the female. I used a turkey baster and a fish specimen container to remove them from the display, and they didn't seem to have many negative effects. I had the flow turned off (to and inside the tank), so they wouldn't go over the overflow or get hit by a ph. I missed some, but got 104 out. Thought a well screened airpowered mini filter would be fine for moving water, but after 80 or more disappeared in a few minutes, i discovered they'd been sucked into the sponge/screen. I'm going the route of the kreisel next. I'm going to use an old skimmer body cut to shape. I hope to be able to hang it in the main seahorse tank (part of a ~800 gallon system). Going to work on that this week. I talked to a friend that ahs had success with clowns and she said she puts some babies in a bowl of greenwater and had great success. I may try a few different things this go round. Love a new focus:).

My wife's been spending some time on seahorses.org. I've done a few searches, but haven't spent any real time over there yet (need to).

Elan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not a sea horse guy but isnt H. erectus also a type prehistoric human? just thought that was funny

peachyreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She maybe a different species or sex? The most likely situation is that she hasnt sexually matured yet.
I use the kreisel method. (I have a small plasic fish bowl with pantyhose over the opening sitting on the bottom of the tank. Then I put an airline tubing from the return of the tank pump to the the fish bowl. I place one end inside the bowl and it creates a cirular current. Its not the best set up but, it has worked the best to me.)
I do like the green water idea though. I just think it would be difficult to clean.

OP
OP
gflat65

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not a sea horse guy but isnt H. erectus also a type prehistoric human? just thought that was funny

Funny, but I hadn't even noticed it... Not sure how I missed that:).

peachy-I'll have to get more info from her on the greenwater method she used on clowns. I've got a skimmer body I hope to transform into a kreisel. My next brood is expected this Friday or Saturday, so I've got to get a move on... I'm going to cap the ends, cut a section off the length of it, cut a hole for water exchange, and hope to be able to suspend it from the parents tank. Have you been able to raise any yet, or are you still improving the methods hoping for a break (like me)?

Raven1645

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I saw the title I thought you ment **** Erectus and I was very confused...
Haha sorry for off-topic post!

Raven1645

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh someone already said that, then it's not funny anymore...

Anyway, is it possible to have hippocampi in a non-seahorse tank? (with other fish)

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 104 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 82 33.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.7%
Back