Had one before, but...

Angelwolf21203

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had a blue maxima clam way back when I first started my current tank, 5 or 6 years ago. Unfortunately, I was under-educated and new to reefing. I had a fish in the tank that quickly killed it by nipping at the mantle. So I have been getting the itch again to try again and see if I can be more successful. Any advice, teachings, experiences you might share would be very helpful.

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on what was written, it reads as though the offending fish is no longer in the tank, so that is what I will assume. First, it is sad to read when someone loses a clam, so sorry for the loss. Second, the following is my advice and hopefully some others will chime in with more good advice.

1. Have a good light
2. I would dose phytoplankton as that is what I use and had great success with (plus I grow my own phyto, so I can dose as much as I need without needing to purchase more)
3. I don't trust blennies and foxfaces, just know there is some risk depending on fish individualities (Not saying all can't be trusted**)

Wish you the best. Here is a pic of my current Derasa that I got mid April 2020 and the photo was taken Jun 25. Loving the new growth since I first got it.
20200625115006.jpg

OP
OP
Angelwolf21203

Angelwolf21203

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on what was written, it reads as though the offending fish is no longer in the tank, so that is what I will assume. First, it is sad to read when someone loses a clam, so sorry for the loss. Second, the following is my advice and hopefully some others will chime in with more good advice.

1. Have a good light
2. I would dose phytoplankton as that is what I use and had great success with (plus I grow my own phyto, so I can dose as much as I need without needing to purchase more)
3. I don't trust blennies and foxfaces, just know there is some risk depending on fish individualities (Not saying all can't be trusted**)

Wish you the best. Here is a pic of my current Derasa that I got mid April 2020 and the photo was taken Jun 25. Loving the new growth since I first got it.
20200625115006.jpg
That looks very nice! Congrats on the growth! I had a fox face at the time, and no, I don't have that fish anymore. I have an Aquamaxx Prism Slimline LED light, and am having success with photosynthetic softies, and I do dose phyto- and zooplankton for my corals and anenome. So perhaps I may try again, soon. Yours is down on your substrate? I thought they like high light levels and a rock to "burrow" into.

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what my PAR is at my substrate, but it is strong. About 8 inches up in the water column in this tank are my acros and grow great. I just recently placed the derasa in a cupped rock piece and has just attached it's byssal threads to it. I guess it really likes where it's at.

Originally I placed it on the substrate to let it adjust, and planned on moving it up over time, but has seemed to like it down there based on mantle extension. :)

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 77 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back