Hair Algae Issues

willforr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I’ve been dealing with this hair algae for almost 2 months now and I can’t get rid of it. I have two sea urchins and multiple snails that don’t seem to help. I’ve done many water changes and I’m dosing a redsea algae supplement. I don’t know what the cause is because I already have low nutrients, phophates at around 0 and nitrate at 5. If anyone could help, it’d be much appreciated.

3948343D-A637-40C5-AB65-9F5E0F00AF1D.jpeg 4185AD31-6641-4DF1-9EF9-81A55588ACCB.jpeg 110A5CF4-F1F6-43B6-8CB0-1E9FE2C7820A.jpeg

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the same demon hell spawn algea i have in my tank for 7 months now. I pull it out by hand and run filter floss in cups and change frequent. I have made a major dent in this stuff but its still in the tank in spots

Nothing will eat this ... Tangs . Rabbitfish . crabs. snails. urchin..........

I have considered putting in a sea turtle in my tank but they probably wouldnt eat this demon spawn algea either LOL

OP
OP
W

willforr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is over a year old. I’ve done some research already but I wanted some advice for my paremeters specifically. Would increasing nitrates and phosphates actually help? I was told already that wasn’t the issue..

Aquarimate

Your companion to maintain thriving aquariums!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those might be also Bryopsis. Look very closely with your camera zoomed in. If you see branches then it is Bryopsis which would grow with Light only. You can lookup Fluconazole as the treatment. Those algae in the picture are too overgrown for CUC to touch them. Manual removal is your first line of defense but if it is Bryopsis then Fluconazole should make them go away.

Jared Bryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the same demon hell spawn algea i have in my tank for 7 months now. I pull it out by hand and run filter floss in cups and change frequent. I have made a major dent in this stuff but its still in the tank in spots

Nothing will eat this ... Tangs . Rabbitfish . crabs. snails. urchin..........

I have considered putting in a sea turtle in my tank but they probably wouldnt eat this demon spawn algea either LOL
Yeah nothing really seems to eat it enough to matter. Gotta use those fingers and a toothbrush...

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those might be also Bryopsis. Look very closely with your camera zoomed in. If you see branches then it is Bryopsis which would grow with Light only. You can lookup Fluconazole as the treatment. Those algae in the picture are too overgrown for CUC to touch them. Manual removal is your first line of defense but if it is Bryopsis then Fluconazole should make them go away.
If it is not bryopsis and you dose fluconazole is there any negative things that can happen??

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is not bryopsis and you dose fluconazole is there any negative things that can happen??
Yes it grows back as soon as you stop using the fluconazole. First things first, after killing 95 % of it with Fluconazole you have to figure out why the GHA grew in the first place most likely high nutrients. You will need to lower those(not eliminate them)-twice a week 10% water changes for weeks (or months). Also buy lots and lots more snails and a urchin or 2. With the GHA mostly dead the snails and urchin will keep any new growth mowed down. As the tank matures you can run higher nutrients without getting algae growth, that's just the way it is and this takes years.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is over a year old. I’ve done some research already but I wanted some advice for my paremeters specifically. Would increasing nitrates and phosphates actually help? I was told already that wasn’t the issue..
Yes because the good stuff in your tank needs to eat also to outcompete the bad stuff.

Aquarimate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really. Fluconazole is pretty safe and in most cases also eliminates Hair Algae too but slower and takes longer. Remove as much as you can by hand and start the treatment. There is a thread about it here but it's about 300+ pages. There is a great instructions on the first page. Make sure you follow it exactly and you will be amazed.

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it grows back as soon as you stop using the fluconazole. First things first, after killing 95 % of it with Fluconazole you have to figure out why the GHA grew in the first place most likely high nutrients. You will need to lower those(not eliminate them)-twice a week 10% water changes for weeks (or months). Also buy lots and lots more snails and a urchin or 2. With the GHA mostly dead the snails and urchin will keep any new growth mowed down. As the tank matures you can run higher nutrients without getting algae growth, that's just the way it is and this takes years.
Good in depth answer for GHA on prevention and maintenence

However i was asking something different entirely haha

So i am wondering if you dose fluconazole assuming you have bryposis and you are wrong. Is it bad to dose fluconazole into your system?

Mr. Brooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluconazole fully worked for me. But you do have to stamp out any sources of extra nutrients. When's the last time you checked your RO/DI filters. Make sure the TDS meter is showing 0. Silicates are one of the first things to get through an exhausted DI filter.

Aquarimate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. You need to make sure you first fix the root cause if it is GHA. Bryopsis can grow in ULNS. Again look with a magnifier and see if it is all sticks or you see branches from the sticks.. It looks kind of like this but only under a magnifier:

1662669509662.png

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here's a form I'm working on but its not an instant fix your welcome to take a look at it. Usually the long way wins in this hobby since every action has a reaction. The nutrients are false reads because the algae is consuming the majority of it prior to you testing. My next post will be about chemicals in a week or so.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back