Hair algae problem

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to saltwater reef tanks and I have a 13.5 gallon fluval about 3 months old. I am dealing with a huge hair algae problem it went away and then came back again pretty hard I change the water weekly and my phosphates and nitrates are pretty low is it just ugly stage of tank?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add some giant turbo snails, maybe an emerald crab, and other clean up crew members. If its horrendous, try flux rx. You can also scrub it off with a toothbrush or something and siphon it out.

OP
OP
jmoney7

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture

Attachments

• IMG_9353.jpeg
    IMG_9353.jpeg
    212.9 KB · Views: 67
OP
OP
jmoney7

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of things say emerald crabs are not reef safe have you had any problems with them eating or picking at coral.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is a picture
First - that is not a lot of algae compared to some - second - yes - add something that eats that algae - I would suggest you contact reef cleaners and ask for their recommendations (Not affiliated).

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice tank btw:). And Welcome to R2R

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I, as well, have never had a problem with emerald crabs and have had them in my tanks for most of the 18 years I’ve been in this hobby. Hard workers, non stop picking and eating algae off my rocks.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I, as well, have never had a problem with emerald crabs and have had them in my tanks for most of the 18 years I’ve been in this hobby. Hard workers, non stop picking and eating algae off my rocks.
Never had a problem - they tend to clean up problems rather than cause them

anthonymckay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's worth mentioning that manual removal of as much as you can is an important first step in battling hair algae. Most of the livestock that eat hair algae wont touch it if it's long thick tufts. I had the best luck with pulling as much as I could, using a toothbrush to scrub it off rocks during a water change. And THEN introducing stuff like Mexican turbo snails and a sea hare. Just make sure you also tackle the root problem of excess nutrients as well or it'll likely all just come back.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's worth mentioning that manual removal of as much as you can is an important first step in battling hair algae. Most of the livestock that eat hair algae wont touch it if it's long thick tufts. I had the best luck with pulling as much as I could, using a toothbrush to scrub it off rocks during a water change. And THEN introducing stuff like Mexican turbo snails and a sea hare. Just make sure you also tackle the root problem of excess nutrients as well or it'll likely all just come back.
Correct - a person can do it deliberately - a crab/fish/etc - is random

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Natural progression of things. Time to add your cleanup crew. I like Mexican turbo snails when I don't have loose frags that can get pushed around. There isn't enough algae there for a sea hare, it would starve.
You said your new so I'll mention that IMO algae is natural and not some terrible evil that many folks make it out to be. Taking drastic measures (chems) early in the game can cause more problems than cures. You didn't say anything like that I'm just saying in case you get tempted :winking-face:

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had a problem - they tend to clean up problems rather than cause them
I have never understood the bad rap. I feel like someone, a long time of go had one go rogue and people just kept spreading it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back