Hairy Mushroom questions

BroncoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up this hairy mushroom from my LFS and it seemed cool at the store it wasn't until I came home and looked at more photos of hairy mushrooms that I thought mine may have a problem. The tentacles are stiff and narrow hardly any movement and some are short and dark. Is the mushroom healthy if not what can I do to help it?

20170209_203435.jpg

Preme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly how long ago did you bring it home from the LFS and put it in your tank? I ask because if it was not to long ago it could still be getting adjusted to your tank(lighting, water conditions, flow). Also water are your water conditions in your tank? And what area of flow is it in (high, medium, low).

Also was it open at the LFS or was only like this when it was there too?

OP
OP
B

BroncoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was like this at the store so I dont believe it is a problem with opening. I received the coral yesterday. But as I said above its seems to be adjusted well to my tank parameters. It is is medium light and flow. Standard reef stats low nitrates minimal to no ammonia or nitrite. Thanks for your time

Preme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also that I forgot to mention that is a type of Toadstool leather coral, not a hairy mushroom. Here's a few picture of Toadstool corals.
IMG_4302.JPG

IMG_4304.JPG

IMG_4303.JPG

There's many different types of these corals. Some I'm not exactly sure which is yours. Hope this helps...

Preme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the looks of it your Toadstool looks great, basically all the polyps are open besides 1 or 2. Looks healthy and again there's many types some have longer and more "tentacles" then others. So my guess would be this specific kind doesn't have as many "tentacles" or polyps as the other types may:)

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 71 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 46.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.8%
Back