Hammer coral branch bent?

Panix

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 6, 2025
Messages
2
Reaction score
1
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there I’ve always browsed this forum but I never post. I changed my current a bit and noticed one of my branches of hammer bent. I switched my current back since. Any ideas?
IMG_4474.jpeg
 
They(euphyllias) have a rigid skeleton made of calcium. It won't bend, the polyp(fleshy part on top will bend to a degree and should bounce around a bit with flow. This is normal,

So it is unclear, unless the skeleton is broken, but it would fall off completely from the rest. Must be a recent Pic too cause doesn't look fully extended yet.

Check the video. Now this is what my butt would call medium flow, im sure others would disagree...
 

Attachments

  • VID_20250227_170007.mp4
    1.9 MB
I pulled it off and glued it somewhere else in the tank. It looked like the yellow sponge(im not sure )growing on it was holding it together even though it was broken. Its been in my tank for almost a year. Very odd.
 
That explains it. The sponge is irrelevant, actually kinda nice. As far as flow, well, it will put strain on it. And will possibly let go eventually. It's unique. And if the sponge dies for whatever reason then it'll frag itself.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 20.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new