Hammer Coral, breaking?

Lilah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a hammer coral for about a year and a half now and it has been doing great...up until now. I lost one section and the boney interior is visible. It appears that it is losing another section. The only thing that has changed in my take is adding Rally. I had a fish with drop eye and my LFS told me that it would be fine with invertebrates and corals, does anyone know what's happening? How I can stop it? If this is natural?

OP
OP
L

Lilah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here are the pictures
ph=7.8
ammonia=0
nitrite=0
nitrate=0.3
and my alkalinity set broke, I am waiting on a new one

Screen Shot 2019-11-14 at 8.03.12 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-11-14 at 8.02.58 PM.png

OP
OP
L

Lilah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another head has drifted off. They look like they are sliding right off of the skeleton. Another one looks like it is starting to fall as well. I have been leaving them in the tank because I don't know if it is natural yet or not. Help!

OP
OP
L

Lilah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same happen. The consensus for me was Peppermint Shrimp.
hmmm, I don't have any shrimp, only snails, and small hermits. Could a fish be doing it? or a parasite of some type?

CoralBuddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this happened to me. Turned out was my filefish that liked eating lps and softies. Perhaps you have one? I'd use a bandsaw or regular saw to cut whats dead as it could be brown jelly also.

OP
OP
L

Lilah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this happened to me. Turned out was my filefish that liked eating lps and softies. Perhaps you have one? I'd use a bandsaw or regular saw to cut whats dead as it could be brown jelly also.
I don't have any filefish, and I don't see any brown jelly yet, but I will look, and try to cut the diseased parts as you said. Thank you so much

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't trust any fish medication in a reef tank no matter what the label says. That might be the problem if the coral flourished a year and that was the only change.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back