Hammer coral Budding??

Sortega

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have been searching around and have gotten a few different responses. I thought that Hammer corals grew new heads by splitting? However in this picture (my tailspot wanted to be in the picture) it looks like I am getting buds about half way up the base on the side facing the Benny.

If you you zoom in (I tried my best) you can see that the tips of the little growths match the color of the hammer. Has anybody seen this before?
20200223_200841.jpg

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strange but yes. They can grow new heads on the skeleton. I’ve seen posts here about torches doing that. Personally I’ve never seen it though.

OP
OP
Sortega

Sortega

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is awesome, you learn something new everyday in this hobby! Thanks for the feedback. I'll monitor the growth and hopefully post a new pic once the head forms more.

KSUChemist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I had a hammer do the same. Unfortunately there wasn't enough light for the bud and it didn't survive.

KyRo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 different hammers, all with heads coming from the skeleton. It's tough to get light on all of them unless I literally turn it on its side and rotate it, so we will see what happens.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 194 71.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back