Hammer Coral flesh growing downwards

MajorMentos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FB3948B6-1ACF-4CAA-88BF-EF9D06ECD715.jpeg

Hi,

So this hammer coral has been glued down for a few months now and the flesh has started to "encrust" around the rock below it (you can see the rock behind the flesh).

I know it is progressing downwards as I have taken pictures a week apart comparing the growth.

I can't seem to find any discussion on this... Is this a good thing? It must be at least fortifying itself.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
May be too much water flow
Assure flow is moderate

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FB3948B6-1ACF-4CAA-88BF-EF9D06ECD715.jpeg

Hi,

So this hammer coral has been glued down for a few months now and the flesh has started to "encrust" around the rock below it (you can see the rock behind the flesh).

I know it is progressing downwards as I have taken pictures a week apart comparing the growth.

I can't seem to find any discussion on this... Is this a good thing? It must be at least fortifying itself.
This is a good thing. You want the flesh extending downward on the skeleton and even the rock. If the flesh recedes that’s a bad sign and if it continues the coral could die.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
i'd say if anything the flow is on the lower side of the scale, it doesn't thrash around that's for sure
Is the coral near the power head?

FishyDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have not seen this discussed much either, but as you said it appears to be "encrusting"..this is usually a good sign, that the coral is happy where it is and is making a permanent home on the rock. Like a plant extending its roots.

Last edited:

Hasan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the best things that can happen to you. This is exactly what I needed. I'm really curious how you did it. Can you give more detailed information?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 15 18.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 54 65.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.8%
Back