Hammer Coral Flow

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Hi, the hammer is not fully out yet because I just got it but is the flow looking ok?

Thanks

Attachments

• 67581509564__4CFD15AE-4C91-4FEE-8CCD-BE5E2DFE2C02.MOV
    1.1 MB

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say you are probably ok.. Hammers and torches like medium to low flow in my tank. Also, if it has been more than a couple hours and they are still that closed up, you are probably giving them too much. A happy hammer will open up in an hour or so.

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I'd say you are probably ok.. Hammers and torches like medium to low flow in my tank. Also, if it has been more than a couple hours and they are still that closed up, you are probably giving them too much. A happy hammer will open up in an hour or so.
Yeah litterally got it 1.5 hours ago

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep all of my Euphillia down near the sandbed. They get lower flow there and a bit less light, but that is where I find they do the best.

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't look too excessive but sort of hard to see.
Like the others have said, leave it for a few hours or overnight and see how it goes the following morning.

I'm playing the waiting game myself with some that I've just put in late yesterday.
One in particular.
Will leave it where it is for the moment and see how things go after time, might not be happy after being shipped.

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Like the others have said, leave it for a few hours or overnight and see how it goes the following morning.

I'm playing the waiting game myself with some that I've just put in late yesterday.
One in particular.
Will leave it where it is for the moment and see how things go after time, might not be happy after being shipped.
So if it comes out then its fine, but if not tmrw morning then move to less flow?

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

One in particular.

After shipping, I find that directly on the sandbed in a low light area encourages them to open up better than anything else.

If yours are still not open since yesterday, I would move them into more shadow and less flow.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if it comes out then its fine, but if not tmrw morning then move to less flow?

Consider this.... These corals should show a gentle sway in the current. This is true of any long tentacled coral. If it looks like they are being blown around like a feather in a whirlwind, you have them under too much... They should just gently move....

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
After shipping, I find that directly on the sandbed in a low light area encourages them to open up better than anything else.

If yours are still not open since yesterday, I would move them into more shadow and less flow.
Ok, so I picked it up from a guy 10 min from here and brought it home 2 hours ago.

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Consider this.... These corals should show a gentle sway in the current. This is true of any long tentacled coral. If it looks like they are being blown around like a feather in a whirlwind, you have them under too much... They should just gently move....
Ok

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah I've got mine on the sandbed so all good there. If it's still looking average by the time I get home I'll move it under some shade. The other 3 appear to have opened/puffed up okay.

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah like Jedi has said, it should move gently, if it looks like it's being blown by a strong wind... you need to either turn down the powerheads or move it to a place with a more gentle flow.
The corals can react differently depending on how it was handled, acclimated etc.

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Here is a video of how my Euphillia look in my tank... notice how they have no blast of current?

Yeah mine is not like that now that i’m looking at it. The power heads are moving a lot of water. I have 2 hydor 1500s. And I can’t change the amount of flow. Should I turn one off?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back