Hammer Coral Head Gone Overnight

Trenton Henderson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hammer that just finished splitting a couple weeks ago was super puffy and happy yesterday with tissue wrapping down around the stock. I woke up this morning to one of the heads completely gone.

IMG_4504.jpeg

The only thing different that I did yesterday was add two turbo snails and dose some Phyto last night after lights out. This one still appears to have all its tissue wrapping its stock. I had two peppermint shrimp (of the wrong variety) that I banished to the refugium after they ate frogspawn, but there is nothing really that would go after a head like that in the tank now. The only thing I have that could is hermit crabs and a small emerald crab.

Any thoughts as to what may have happened here? It’s not getting whipped around by flow and the light there during the photoperiod is 150-160 PAR. Perhaps the lights are too intense there?

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Trenton Henderson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's unlikely to be the crabs or the lighting. Have you checked for BJD?

But if it was BJD, would it not have been a slower process? I haven’t noticed anything irregular in that sense. There may be a faint brown stain on the back rim of the skeleton, but I’m also dealing with diatoms right now. The fact that there is any color on it right now tells me that it was probably exposed on the back of a bit and couldn’t tell.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But if it was BJD, would it not have been a slower process? I haven’t noticed anything irregular in that sense. There may be a faint brown stain on the back rim of the skeleton, but I’m also dealing with diatoms right now. The fact that there is any color on it right now tells me that it was probably exposed on the back of a bit and couldn’t tell.
I've seen BJD kill a torch literally overnight (or at least infect it such that it's not salvageable).

OP
OP
T

Trenton Henderson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is nothing within a foot of this coral. I have very few at the moment, as I am working towards a lighting upgrade.

OP
OP
T

Trenton Henderson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: polyp bailed out and is under this rock. It is inflated, but definitely not enough light under there.

IMG_4505.jpeg

What should I do with it? My LFS just said remove it. I wonder if it did this for reproductive purposes….

Last edited:

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its not reproductive, its a sign of stress and a last ditch effort at survival. Something might be stinging it, or picking at it...... it will die, I would remove it too.

OP
OP
T

Trenton Henderson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its not reproductive, its a sign of stress and a last ditch effort at survival. Something might be stinging it, or picking at it...... it will die, I would remove it too.

Like I said earlier, there is nothing within 1 foot of it, so stinging isn’t likely. Bailout with Euphyllia in the wild is known to occur for reproductive purposes with a very low success rate. All parameters in the tank are stable. More often than not, the polyp will bail due to stress, but it showed no prior signs of it.

OP
OP
T

Trenton Henderson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update #2:

I apologize for arguing earlier; now that I can see the underside of the remaining polyp, it too has receded to the top of the stalk, looking like it too will detach. I started feeding some Restor and I have been feeding AB+. The only thing I can think of is that I have been increasing my photoperiod this past month. Perhaps it’s negatively responding to this? What should I do? Move it down in the tank? Then again, it has been fully opened and puffy, which would signify that it is fine with the light level.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back