Hammer coral problem: Knotted, stringy-looking growths from between flesh and base.

ColtonWillett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've Googled and Googled and I couldn't find anything like this, but maybe somebody here know what's up. I've recently disturbed everything in my tank while getting rid of a bad cyano infestation, caused by neglect and a month of no water changes. I did 3 or 4 ~20% water changes over the course of a about 4 days, scrubbing everything in the tank with a toothbrush, then doing a chemiclean treatment followed by another 20% water change. During the deep clean I carefully (I thought) scrubbed the skeleton of my hammer coral, to remove cyanobacteria that had crept up all over the base. A couple weeks after that I noticed what you see in the pics on a couple spots around the coral, that seem to be growing very slowly. I also noticed a few tentacles looked like they had been nearly pinched off at the base. It hasnt been staying retracted but it doesn't come out quite as far as it did in its prime and I know I just messed with the chemistry and probably stressed it out enough without taking the toothbrush to it. Maybe I damaged the fleshy bits of the coral with he toothbrush? Was that a completely asanine thing to have done? Thank you for taking the time to read this.

20220207_175222_HDR.jpg 20220207_175508.jpg

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it may be upset from a swing of parameters from the water changes. Where were they before and now?

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 14 9.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 63 42.3%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 71 47.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back