Hammer Coral Trouble — receding/shrinking

SaltWaterTerp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this hammer for 6 months. For about the past 2 weeks, it’s not been looking good.

Here is a pic from tonight (I will try to update with a daytime pic):

6cc2a87a4502204c5b3dc973f2b83abf.jpg

It was thriving, and I really mean thriving — full and growing and happy. Then, I added a new hammer (the one on right in pic), and all was well for a few weeks, but now this.

Parameters are all good, just checked this weekend. So, I think it might be one of the following:

1) The other hammer being too close (I thought hammers could be close, but now I see sometimes they can be unhappy); or
2) my stock lighting in the LED Biocube 16 needs an upgrade.

Any thoughts?

Should I move it? Or move the other one? They are glued down, but I hopefully can pry it off without damage — they were super easy to take off the frag.

Evan28395950

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly it should be enough light for a basic coral like that. I would try moving one to a different spot first to see if it helps.

VB313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this hammer for 6 months. For about the past 2 weeks, it’s not been looking good.

Here is a pic from tonight (I will try to update with a daytime pic):

6cc2a87a4502204c5b3dc973f2b83abf.jpg

It was thriving, and I really mean thriving — full and growing and happy. Then, I added a new hammer (the one on right in pic), and all was well for a few weeks, but now this.

Parameters are all good, just checked this weekend. So, I think it might be one of the following:

1) The other hammer being too close (I thought hammers could be close, but now I see sometimes they can be unhappy); or
2) my stock lighting in the LED Biocube 16 needs an upgrade.

Any thoughts?

Should I move it? Or move the other one? They are glued down, but I hopefully can pry it off without damage — they were super easy to take off the frag.
Where is it placed in the tank I keep a nice hammer in my biocube 32 about 4 inches off the sandbed with stock lights

OP
OP
SaltWaterTerp

SaltWaterTerp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is it placed in the tank I keep a nice hammer in my biocube 32 about 4 inches off the sandbed with stock lights

It’s closer to the top — but it was really thriving up there for months. I think I’m gonna try to move it down though, just to get it away from the other hammer.

Man, I would hate to lose this coral — it was one of my faves until it started giving me issues :)

OP
OP
SaltWaterTerp

SaltWaterTerp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved him. I will update in a few days or so. Hopefully, it was just coral warfare between the 2 hammers, and moving one solves the problem.

Dabcrusher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 different color hammers in my hammer garden and they are always cool with each other.i did think they stung each other

OP
OP
SaltWaterTerp

SaltWaterTerp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never heard of hammer on hammer warfare. I didn’t think that was even possible. Hm...

I did some searching on R2R and saw some posts about hammers not getting along with other hammers -- some have said they think they have seen this. These observations can still be anecdotal, for sure -- but, in my case, I think it would be weird that all of a sudden the hammer started acting strange after really thriving. But, who knows? Hopefully, moving helps with whatever the issue was.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%

Back