Hammer Coral

BudgetR33f

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried asking this on another post, but wasn’t getting much feedback so I thought I might try asking again. Is it normal for hammer coral to be transparent like this or is there a problem with my lighting?

Attachments

• IMG_3980.mov
    27.3 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I tried asking this on another post, but wasn’t getting much feedback so I thought I might try asking again. Is it normal for hammer coral to be transparent like this or is there a problem with my lighting?
Video is very dark to clearly see and best under white light intensity. Often bleaching is from too much light , starvation or high phosphates.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

BudgetR33f

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video is very dark to clearly see and best under white light intensity. Often bleaching is from too much light , starvation or high phosphates.
Ok thanks for responding. I have a 150 w light that i was running at 15% white and 85% blue but i recently moved it down to 0% white and 40% blue. And heres where its placed in the tank. Do you think it could be too much/little or a problem with phosphates?

Attachments

• IMG_3970.jpeg
    IMG_3970.jpeg
    90.2 KB · Views: 29
Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

BudgetR33f

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks for responding. I have a 150 w light that i was running at 15% white and 85% blue but i recently moved it down to 0% white and 40% blue. And heres where its placed in the tank. Do you think it could be too much/little or a problem with phosphates?
I meant 100w

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Again , these pics are extremely dark and best under white lighting - no blue only
Low phos would be a possibility but a test would confirm. Not everyone has a phosphate kit but you can have a pet store test for you

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

BudgetR33f

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again , these pics are extremely dark and best under white lighting - no blue only
Low phos would be a possibility but a test would confirm. Not everyone has a phosphate kit but you can have a pet store test for you
Thank you, I’ll definitely go test my phosphate. Sorry about the bad photos, hopefully this ones better. I’d still like to get your opinion on the light if you can

Attachments

• IMG_3989.jpeg
    IMG_3989.jpeg
    144 KB · Views: 24
Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you, I’ll definitely go test my phosphate. Sorry about the bad photos, hopefully this ones better. I’d still like to get your opinion on the light if you can
Good pic !! Move the hammer up and to the left and assure its not bouncing around from the current, Should be waving gently in the current. Also feed it Mysis shrimp 2-3X a week

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

BudgetR33f

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good pic !! Move the hammer up and to the left and assure its not bouncing around from the current, Should be waving gently in the current. Also feed it Mysis shrimp 2-3X a week
Thanks for the feedback, it’s definitely moving a lot better now. Are you sure it won’t be getting too much light by moving it up though?

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks for the feedback, it’s definitely moving a lot better now. Are you sure it won’t be getting too much light by moving it up though?
If you feel it is, lower it SLIGHTLY.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

BudgetR33f

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok sounds good, I’ll also be going to my lfs tomorrow to ask them about it to get a second opinion. Thanks for all the help!

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back