Hammer Coral: What is this on stem/base?

NotoriousDMC

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 11, 2021
Messages
282
Reaction score
213
Location
Lower Merion
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello R2R and Happy New Year!!!

I have an otherwise very healthy looking hammer that I just noticed tonight (lights off) has this on it’s stem/base? I’m only about 8 months or so into the hobby and, although I’ve battled some other well known pests (aptasia and vermitids), I’ve been fortunate to not have had any pests affect my several hammers or one torch.

Any ideas if this is just part of the coral or do I need to get this out and dip and brush it?

F97A872B-862E-4E1C-87D9-0F4F1C00B0AC.jpeg F7BA3903-7323-46D5-9F47-236E83C1E2B7.jpeg
 
If you mean the white stuff, that's an encrusting sponge of some sort from the look of it. Harmless and sign of a healthy tank, but some colored ones can smother soft corals. Some pink and black varieties can grow like mad. Grats on the babies! Looks like you've got a couple new heads growing.
 
Thanks! Yes, that’s what I was referring to. I was hoping it was “all good” as the coral looks very healthy and it, and 3 others, are all growing!
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 19.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 21 29.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 12.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 11.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 8.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new