Hammer coral

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dummy question. Is it in the best interest for the hammer coral to be taken off and separated from the frag plug and superglued to the desired location on the rock ??

OP
OP
TxReefer21

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either way works.

I have some I glued the plug down, because I couldn't remove the plug without damaging the base of the coral. Some I've taken off the plug, and epoxied onto the rocks. Both do fine.
Sounds good. It’s popping up really nicely on the plug and I already glued the plug down on the rock so I’ll just let it be. Won’t be an issue with the growth?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frogspawn dead center of the tank started as 2 heads on a plug. I couldn't remove the plug from this one so I glued it down. Pretty sure as you can tell, the plug didn't inhibit growth one bit(FWIW, I have fragged this many times over the years and by the looks of it, its time again. lol).

20201209_172237.jpg

OP
OP
TxReefer21

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frogspawn dead center of the tank started as 2 heads on a plug. I couldn't remove the plug from this one so I glued it down. Pretty sure as you can tell, the plug didn't inhibit growth one bit(FWIW, I have fragged this many times over the years and by the looks of it, its time again. lol).

20201209_172237.jpg
Sweeeet looks nice appreciate it

OP
OP
TxReefer21

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was trying to cut the plug down so it wasn’t so bulky and the hammer came off. I just superglued it to the rock and she is happy as can be
Yeah I think I’m just gonna keep mine on the plug it’s not bulky and it’s flat rounded so it fits nicely and glued well to the rock so meh we will see what happens !

OP
OP
TxReefer21

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was trying to cut the plug down so it wasn’t so bulky and the hammer came off. I just superglued it to the rock and she is happy as can be
On a side note I’m going to be trying reef roids to enhance my color and growth in my corals so we will see how it goes

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people hate the look of plugs in a tank. I personally usually leave them be, and just cut the stem off, or using 2 part epoxy, just epoxy the stem into a hole in the rock.

The coral will eventually cover the plug and you'll never see it.

OP
OP
TxReefer21

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people hate the look of plugs in a tank. I personally usually leave them be, and just cut the stem off, or using 2 part epoxy, just epoxy the stem into a hole in the rock.

Exactly my thought why worry about it when it’s going to be covered and ate up lol

OP
OP
TxReefer21

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Kind-of like tanks bare bottom vs having sand. I’m bare Bottom and love it

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with reef roids. It is very high in phosphates. A little bit goes a very long way.

If you find your corals regurgitating it, stop using it. I found most of my LPS didn't like it. They preferred meatier foods like mysis.

OP
OP
TxReefer21

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with reef roids. It is very high in phosphates. A little bit goes a very long way.

If you find your corals regurgitating it, stop using it. I found most of my LPS didn't like it. They preferred meatier foods like mysis.
Yes sir I’ve heard that before I have phosguard on standby right now lol but I’ll be feeding very little I usually feed mysis but I’m looking for growth and see how this will work out. I don’t have much just the hammer coral zoas and this thing so we will see how it goes and how it works the video I posted shows a good way to feed instead of just throwing it all in the tank

Attachments

• 7D3FDEB7-F24D-4AEE-89D7-D8CBE8C3FF12.jpeg
    7D3FDEB7-F24D-4AEE-89D7-D8CBE8C3FF12.jpeg
    186.2 KB · Views: 29

moorjames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oh dang- I just gave mine their 2nd dose this morning- as I plan on doing a water change tomorrow anyways. I’ll have to watch for this- and maybe feed at night so I can pay attention. Also thought that if I feed at night- my lights won’t be on cooking it and turning it into algea

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back