Hammer Corals fell from their "base"

myyellas2k

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few nights ago I came home from work and saw 2 of the hammers head polyps were not extending much and 1 was "falling"
next thing I noticed was all 4 of the heads came undone from their spot and are on the sand bed

readings:

SG 1.024
mag 1800
kh - 7.6-7.8
calcium (red sea = 750, api=740) High I know
Phosphates 2.0 !!!!!!!!!!!! (can't seem to get this down at all)
ammonia, nitrite,nitrate 0

all the other corals are doing good (Zoas are loving life) my electric long tentacle and GSP are great...

all fishy are happy
just that dang Hammer crapped out and no idea why

Dawsokj1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few nights ago I came home from work and saw 2 of the hammers head polyps were not extending much and 1 was "falling"
next thing I noticed was all 4 of the heads came undone from their spot and are on the sand bed

readings:

SG 1.024
mag 1800
kh - 7.6-7.8
calcium (red sea = 750, api=740) High I know
Phosphates 2.0 !!!!!!!!!!!! (can't seem to get this down at all)
ammonia, nitrite,nitrate 0

all the other corals are doing good (Zoas are loving life) my electric long tentacle and GSP are great...

all fishy are happy
just that dang Hammer crapped out and no idea why

It could have happened due to your numbers being slightly off. I've never had a hammer 'separate' from the skeleton, but mines been unhappy when I didn't have the correct ratios of macro elements. There are people on this with more knowledge than me, but I can throw out some recommendations (things you're already probably working on):

raise salinity to 1.025-1.026 (slowly)
lower magnesium to the 1350 range
lower calcium to the 420-430 range
lower phosphate (seems really high) ; what are you using to try and lower this?
raise the nitrate to 2-5 ppm via nitrogen flourish (can be purchased on amazon) or stump remover : https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/potassium-nitrate-spectracide-stump-remover-dosing-steps.215730/

How many gallons is your tank? The easiest way to fix all of these would be to do a series of 15-30% water changes with quality salt mixed to 1.026. Just make sure and add a little nitrate once you conduct your water change (if your nitrates are indeed reading 0).

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if Euphyllia does any sort of polyp bail out. I suppose it is possible. Looking at your parameters your CA and MG are pretty high. This could play a role. I have seen in the past with BJD Euphyllia will separate from the skeleton and melt away. How long have you had the hammer?

+1 on starting with the water changes. You may also want to dip the skeleton and heads in iodine every few days to help with recovery. Not sure if the skeleton has any salvageable tissue. Any pics?

OP
OP
myyellas2k

myyellas2k

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C731C87C-8A68-4A64-B0B0-FBDEE6DCDE7E.jpeg

OP
OP
myyellas2k

myyellas2k

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this hammer for 3 months or so...

that was the first head to go, since then all the heads have fallen off.

tank is 54 gallons - did a water change Sunday - and every sunday of 5 gallons (10%)

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were you getting fully PE or were they closed up a bit like in the pics? Also any direct flow on them? I've seen high flow irritate Euphyllia since it rubs on the skeleton.

OP
OP
myyellas2k

myyellas2k

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed recently before this all happened that they werent coming out as much - but still extended - but no where near like before

no direct flow on them either, as I have made sure to take that into consideration

would light have ANYTHING to do w/ it ?
its 3/4 way up and I have a kessil a360 hanging 6" from the water

Dawsokj1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed recently before this all happened that they werent coming out as much - but still extended - but no where near like before

no direct flow on them either, as I have made sure to take that into consideration

would light have ANYTHING to do w/ it ?
its 3/4 way up and I have a kessil a360 hanging 6" from the water

If they've been under that light for 3 months and have been fine up to this point then I'd say the lighting isn't an issue.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the parameters stable and within good numbers. Hopefully they bounce back. Lighting or flow doesn't sound like an issue.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 44 57.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back