Hammer Dying

ReeferTang44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few days ago, everything was looking good all of a sudden after feeding the corals oyster feast, one of my hammer polyps started to close a little bit so I did a water change only 10 gallons and today a second one looks a little more closed.

IMG_8452.jpeg
IMG_8451.jpeg
IMG_8447.jpeg
IMG_8435.jpeg
IMG_8448.jpeg
IMG_8449.jpeg
IMG_8434.jpeg

It used to look like this less than a week ago
IMG_8061.jpeg
IMG_7943.jpeg

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
How long has it been in the tank? Any recent changes to lighting, flow, or the location of the hammer? What are your nutrient levels and tank parameters?

Alk, calcium, magnesium, pH, temp, specific gravity, nitrates, phosphates...

OP
OP
ReeferTang44

ReeferTang44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has it been in the tank? Any recent changes to lighting, flow, or the location of the hammer? What are your nutrient levels and tank parameters?

Alk, calcium, magnesium, pH, temp, specific gravity, nitrates, phosphates...
My levels are stable. Maybe maybe slight elevated phosphates and nitrates not too much and no hasn’t moved in three months. Everything’s been the same.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What is urchin clean?
The bright white skeleton showing through. Something is hanging out cleaning that spot. Urchins will eat the algae and grab bits of rock or skeleton so the bright white shows through. Most other CUC don't get all the way down to skeleton like that. I'm thinking something is bothering it or the flesh has receded.

Those two are definitely receded since there appears to be no flesh band showing.

OP
OP
ReeferTang44

ReeferTang44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bright white skeleton showing through. Something is hanging out cleaning that spot. Urchins will eat the algae and grab bits of rock or skeleton so the bright white shows through. Most other CUC don't get all the way down to skeleton like that. I'm thinking something is bothering it or the flesh has receded.

Those two are definitely receded since there appears to be no flesh band showing.
What should I do?

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What should I do?
Not sure, I'm not a Euphyllia expert. A lot of people would probably say do a KFC dip (Kung Fu Corals makes this but there are DIY versions) or iodine dip?

@ADAM any advice? Am I seeing it correctly that there's definitely flesh recession?

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What should I do?
Although the pictures look the same to me there appears to be a receding flesh band. I would be suspicious that you have low calcium and magnesium and/or nutrients. You need to list all your parameters so we can help.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
A few days ago, everything was looking good all of a sudden after feeding the corals oyster feast, one of my hammer polyps started to close a little bit so I did a water change only 10 gallons and today a second one looks a little more closed.

IMG_8452.jpeg
IMG_8451.jpeg
IMG_8447.jpeg
IMG_8435.jpeg
IMG_8448.jpeg
IMG_8449.jpeg
IMG_8434.jpeg

It used to look like this less than a week ago
IMG_8061.jpeg
IMG_7943.jpeg
May be reaction to oyster feast which is quite milky. I feed mine mysis shrimp
Assure calcium has not dropped below 400 and phosphate has not become elevated

CoralsComeInMoreColors

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
u fed it and its feeding dont worry about it will come back when the feeding response is done, the polyps extend more when it absorbs water and closes up more when it is changing the water in its system

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure, I'm not a Euphyllia expert. A lot of people would probably say do a KFC dip (Kung Fu Corals makes this but there are DIY versions) or iodine dip?

@ADAM any advice? Am I seeing it correctly that there's definitely flesh recession?
From the info given I’d suspect either a PO4 rise or something picking at the skeleton (but only if the recession is limited to that specific area). I’d give it a quick pest dip after lights out in just in case.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 72 29.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 69 28.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 51 21.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back