Hammer feeding

Chris-tico

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey.I just buy a hammer coral.My question is, i have to feed it? How often? What should i feed it with?Thanks

GHill762

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you don't have to feed it, but the hammer will respond well to feedings and IMO euphillia (and most lps) seem healthier when fed regularly. once a week I typically (with pumps off) thaw some frozen food and spot feed all my lps, spray a little of the juices at the sps, and the fish will just eat whatever is floating around.

lps will typically eat just about anything they catch, I find they like good fresh frozen foods. they seem to really love the rod's I've been feeding lately.. but my euphillia regularly catch pellets or flakes floating by in the current..

after eating, lps typically look extra happy for a few days ime.

Last edited:

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed all my euphyllia the same. Mixture of brine, mysis, liquid and powder foods. Spot feeding with pumps off. That said pretty much any coral food small enough will get eaten. They will grow and look better with normal feedings. They will survive without any feeding as long as your lighting is up to par and water has nutrients in it but the coral more than likely will not flourish without additional feedings.

OP
OP
Chris-tico

Chris-tico

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now in my LFS they only have MARINE SNOW. What you guys think about that product

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine snow is OK. It is almost liquid so it will not be able to be placed near mouth. But you will be able to squirt it near polyp. It should open its mouth and polyp will inflate. This means it is absorbing or filtering it from water.

I find the box store type pet stores generally have frozen foods that LFS do not. Like brine and blood worms.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 87 44.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 68 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 27 13.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back