Hammer, frogspawn and ReefRoids

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Twice now I've target fed a hammer and a frogspawn with ReefRoids. Both times they created a long string of something with the RRs, like they're using mucus to clear off the solution. Do they dislike being fed? Do they dislike certain foods? I know a lot of folks don't feed corals but I'm new at this and my nitrates are zero so I figured they needed some source of nitrogen.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Twice now I've target fed a hammer and a frogspawn with ReefRoids. Both times they created a long string of something with the RRs, like they're using mucus to clear off the solution. Do they dislike being fed? Do they dislike certain foods? I know a lot of folks don't feed corals but I'm new at this and my nitrates are zero so I figured they needed some source of nitrogen.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

Coral is a living creature. And living creatures need to poop. So what you see is them expelling waste. Vey normal and nothing to worry about.

OP
OP
ThunderGoose

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's all it is? Wow. Great. That makes so much sense. Like I said, I'm still a newbie and I never thought about what coral poop would look it. I was picturing something more frass like, or like what the snails poop.

Neat.

bigjoker208

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just another thought. Corals slime up sometimes to clean themselves, and then the slime (with whatever is bothering them) is removed by the flow. So it could be that the coral wasn't hungry at the time and was trying to remove the food. I was feeding a torch coral mysis shrimp and it brought 3 pieces directly to it's mouth. Two additional pieces were stuck to a tentacle for about two minutes until it decided it was no longer hungry. It created slime that removed the uneaten food that my tangs gladly ate.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just another thought. Corals slime up sometimes to clean themselves, and then the slime (with whatever is bothering them) is removed by the flow. So it could be that the coral wasn't hungry at the time and was trying to remove the food. I was feeding a torch coral mysis shrimp and it brought 3 pieces directly to it's mouth. Two additional pieces were stuck to a tentacle for about two minutes until it decided it was no longer hungry. It created slime that removed the uneaten food that my tangs gladly ate.
Ive seen the slime when I feed RR to my hammers. Its normal and likely what youre seeing.
Unless you arent giving the proper light spectrum, you should need to feed euphyllia (just my opinion though). Mine used to expel their zooanthelle a LOT when I fed them. I stopped and it hasnt happened since :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back