Base of LPS splitting, Frogspawn and now Hammer

Afkomjorgen

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 23, 2020
Messages
294
Reaction score
178
Location
seattle wa
What state or country do you live in
Washington
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
Just a question to make sure I’m not missing a pest or something.

My Frogspawn reached 16+ heads this spring and has looked great the whole time, but it suddenly split down the skeletal base into 2 colonies. Neither seemed bothered by the change.

Last night, my Hammer of 25 heads split down the side of the skeletal base and I now have 2 colonies. Hammer looks amazing this morning all heads out. It DID lose 2 heads to a passing by RBT anemone earlier this week.

Is this the normal way of things? I don’t use a doser but my Ca never goes below 350 and I try to keep it at 450.
The hammer was a ridiculously fast grower, and I had noticed it was becoming a little too heavy. It went from 2 heads to 25 in 1.5 yrs.
My worry is that something is eating or weakening the base of the corals.

Thank you! I’ll try to get photos today
 
Hello!
Just a question to make sure I’m not missing a pest or something.

My Frogspawn reached 16+ heads this spring and has looked great the whole time, but it suddenly split down the skeletal base into 2 colonies. Neither seemed bothered by the change.

Last night, my Hammer of 25 heads split down the side of the skeletal base and I now have 2 colonies. Hammer looks amazing this morning all heads out. It DID lose 2 heads to a passing by RBT anemone earlier this week.

Is this the normal way of things? I don’t use a doser but my Ca never goes below 350 and I try to keep it at 450.
The hammer was a ridiculously fast grower, and I had noticed it was becoming a little too heavy. It went from 2 heads to 25 in 1.5 yrs.
My worry is that something is eating or weakening the base of the corals.

Thank you! I’ll try to get photos today
Pictures?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5520.jpeg
    IMG_5520.jpeg
    231.8 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_5523.jpeg
    IMG_5523.jpeg
    109.9 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_5524.jpeg
    IMG_5524.jpeg
    205.4 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_5522.jpeg
    IMG_5522.jpeg
    198.4 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_5525.jpeg
    IMG_5525.jpeg
    145 KB · Views: 131
if they're extending happily etc., I don't think this is anything to worry about, just enjoy your new colonies!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new