Hammer head splitting?

novajoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I'm new to salt water kept fresh water tanks for a while now. Needed some advice. I've been doing a lot of research on the corals I have. The tank I got was passed down from a. Friend of mine who's an impulse buyer and I don't think he knew a lot about it. Luckily he did get it cycled and stable so that was a plus. But after a few weeks of having this aquarium I have questions. Biggest question right now is what's going on with this hammer head coral I got. It looks like it's forming 3 mouths near the middle of the coral two at the top and 1 larger one at the bottom, but I'm not sure what that means. Is it a disease or is it splitting up? Dying? It does puff up during the day really nicely like I believe it's supposed. Took the photo at night as it's the only time I get to see the openings. Internet is unfortunately not really that helpful when talking about saltwater thought I would give this a try.

IMG_20231008_223610681.jpg IMG_20231008_223602233.jpg

OP
OP
N

novajoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upon a closer look I think I just mistook the top one for being 2 holes but in reality it was just the side of the one opening. Its also growing some more fleshy looking stuff on the side of the exoskeleton ina. Circle pattern. Looks like it's about to branch out again too. Thanks for the help!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back