Hammer propagation

  • Thread starter Thread starter erchins8
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

erchins8

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 11, 2022
Messages
15
Reaction score
4
Location
30075
What state or country do you live in
Georgia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey!
1. What can I do to help my hammer propagate in a display tank with other softies/lps
2. What does it look like when a hammer (or any euphyllia) propagates? I bought it as a double headed frag and it's been in the tank for a little under ~4 months. Thank you!
 
Just give it the right conditions: flow, light, stability.
In 4 months you should have noticeable splitting and new heads.
 
Hey!
1. What can I do to help my hammer propagate in a display tank with other softies/lps
2. What does it look like when a hammer (or any euphyllia) propagates? I bought it as a double headed frag and it's been in the tank for a little under ~4 months. Thank you!
Many times, a sign of it happening is that you will see a giant bubble where the mouth would be. This is a sign that it could be splitting. The other sign is more noticable when its deflating for the night. You will generally see a distinct change in what the head looks like. You will know because there will be 2 heads facing away from each other, and both should have their own mouth.
In almost a year, my 4 head hammer went to 10 to 12 heads
 
The above mention of Light, flow and stable parameters are key, but above that, I used reef chili from BRS every 2 weeks or so and they do fantastic. Please note that food that goes in the tank is extra nutrients that need to come out.

Start very small to allow your bacteria to realign and grow to help with the extra load and keep an eye on everything.

If you see algae growing and/or the glass getting dirty faster, pull back on the chili.
 
The above mention of Light, flow and stable parameters are key, but above that, I used reef chili from BRS every 2 weeks or so and they do fantastic. Please note that food that goes in the tank is extra nutrients that need to come out.

Start very small to allow your bacteria to realign and grow to help with the extra load and keep an eye on everything.

If you see algae growing and/or the glass getting dirty faster, pull back on the chili.
If they don't have stable parameters, no amount of food is going to help. Personally, I'm not sold that all of this food is even necessary. I've never target fed my frogspawn, torch or hammer, and they grow like crazy!
 
The above mention of Light, flow and stable parameters are key, but above that, I used reef chili from BRS every 2 weeks or so and they do fantastic. Please note that food that goes in the tank is extra nutrients that need to come out.

Start very small to allow your bacteria to realign and grow to help with the extra load and keep an eye on everything.

If you see algae growing and/or the glass getting dirty faster, pull back on the chili.
On this note, I had a hammer that had a couple random heads closing up/shrinking, fed it some reef Chile/reef roids 2-3 times. Direct with a pipette. Those heads made a full recovery. Now I need to do it with a different head. Also had same issue with a 50+ head trumpet, seems to helped it too
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 56 35.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new