Hammer Receding - Any suggestions?

Jasontkd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4 head hammer that looked off last night. Two of the heads were closed up and the tissue around the base of each head appears to be receding. I can't get a good picture of it. The other two heads look completely normal.

I am just wondering if I missed something.

I picked it up and really looked it over and don't see any bugs, flatworms, eggs, etc. All my other corals look good.

I tested everything last night and the only thing that seems off was my nitrates and magnesium, but not significantly

Salinity: 1.025
PH: 8.2
Alk: 8
Calcium: 400
Magnesium: 1200 (I dosed to bring it back to 1300)
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20 (water mixing now for water change, but this is usually between 5-10)
phosphate: .1 (this has been stable at .1 for months, via Red Sea)

This hammer has been in my tank for a couple months and has never had any other issues. I am sure I am missing something, but I don't know what. I can't think of anything that has changed recently. I did have a marinepure cube in my overflow for a few months that I removed 2 weeks ago to set up a QT tank. I only have a 20 gallon tank, so I guess this could be a reaction to a reduction in Nitrifying bacteria.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

Randomwhiteguy89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you post some photos for reference also if it’s the first day it’s looked like this it might not be a problem maybe a fish hit it or a crab walked over it and upset it I had clownfish try to host hammers at night in the past and depending on the size the hammer wouldn’t mind or it would take damage also how’s the flow on the hammer if it’s too strong it could be tearing at the flesh you don’t always notice it right away over time it can really get to be a problem for it hence why it was looking good before and now retracting

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4 head hammer that looked off last night. Two of the heads were closed up and the tissue around the base of each head appears to be receding. I can't get a good picture of it. The other two heads look completely normal.

I am just wondering if I missed something.

I picked it up and really looked it over and don't see any bugs, flatworms, eggs, etc. All my other corals look good.

I tested everything last night and the only thing that seems off was my nitrates and magnesium, but not significantly

Salinity: 1.025
PH: 8.2
Alk: 8
Calcium: 400
Magnesium: 1200 (I dosed to bring it back to 1300)
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20 (water mixing now for water change, but this is usually between 5-10)
phosphate: 1.0 (this has been stable at 1 for months)

This hammer has been in my tank for a couple months and has never had any other issues. I am sure I am missing something, but I don't know what. I can't think of anything that has changed recently. I did have a marinepure cube in my overflow for a few months that I removed 2 weeks ago to set up a QT tank. I only have a 20 gallon tank, so I guess this could be a reaction to a reduction in Nitrifying bacteria.

Any help is appreciated.
How much flow is it in? If one part of the coral is getting pounded with flow, those two heads would definitely start receding. Other than that, your phosphates are way too high. They should be less than 0.20. Can you get a picture to possibly identify bjd?

OP
OP
J

Jasontkd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is in very mild flow and has been in the same spot for months with no issue.

Phosphate is an error on my part. I meant .1 via red sea test kit.

I considered that it was a fish or crab until I saw the tissue receding. I can try to get a picture later, but I was unsuccessful last night. Unless it is a crab or something that is picking at it regularly (that I have not seen).

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is in very mild flow and has been in the same spot for months with no issue.

Phosphate is an error on my part. I meant .1 via red sea test kit.

I considered that it was a fish or crab until I saw the tissue receding. I can try to get a picture later, but I was unsuccessful last night. Unless it is a crab or something that is picking at it regularly (that I have not seen).
That would not likely cause tissue recession. It’s probably the spot or bjd.

OP
OP
J

Jasontkd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry, maybe I am dense, but what is "spot or bjd"

OP
OP
J

Jasontkd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. I have not seen anything that looks like Brown Jelly.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the bad news is its probably STN

20200805_185940.jpg

Good news is you get to go coral shopping soon

Its either a bacteria you can't do much about.... or the after-effects of a major Alk spike

OP
OP
J

Jasontkd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First pictures are prior to water change. Two heads have a bulged center but two heads are ok

1596673042867.jpeg

OP
OP
J

Jasontkd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are after water change. Closed up more because I messed with it trying to get a picture.

hou can see the tissue is almost stringy between two heads

1596673120467.jpeg

1596673151861.jpeg

1596673176637.jpeg

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like those two heads are going to bail out. I’d cut the two bad heads off and move the two healthy heads to a new spot. The inflated Center is rather strange and I personally have never seen that other than while a coral is eating something.... stringy stuff could possibly be the toxins of the coral.

OP
OP
J

Jasontkd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stringy stuff is definitely tissue. It is like it is just shredding. I don't have a saw, so I really don't know how to frag it.

OP
OP
J

Jasontkd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can get a dremel. if I cut/frag it, will i need to treat the new frag in any way?

OP
OP
J

Jasontkd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do I frag it and not damage the tissue? between one of the heads with tissue loss, and one without, the tissue spans between the two. So, I will have to cut through the tissue to frag it. Is that a problem.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do I frag it and not damage the tissue? between one of the heads with tissue loss, and one without, the tissue spans between the two. So, I will have to cut through the tissue to frag it. Is that a problem.
You would have to cut the skeleton. I marked the line where I would cut it. Is the tussue of the infected heads at that line or is it where the tissue receded from?

CCDE6177-EEFD-4FCD-9D33-176FEFA64876.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back