Hammer receding because of algae, thoughts?

noobreefer2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I have had a hammer in my tank a little over 6 months, that hasn't grown much, but has stayed healthy for the most part. But a few months ago, I had a severe outbreak of chrysophytes, that was irritating and killing some stony corals. This coral looked fine for the most part:
IMG_7085.JPG

But a little while later, I started to notice the flesh receding:
IMG_7132.JPG

And this has just gotten worse and worse: (This picture was taken just now)
IMG_7181.JPG

Please note that the picture above was taken right after I scrubbed the skeleton with a toothbrush in a effort to get rid of the algae.

Mag: 1300 ppm
Alk: 8.5-9 dkh
Ca: 440 ppm
Nitrate: 0-1 ppm
Phosphate: 0.04-0.05 ppm
Salinity: 1.025

What do you think I could do to help the algae from taking over the coral? Should I keep scrubbing the skeleton, or is that going to do more harm than good? Could I do a peroxide dip? I am dosing vibrant by-weekly as a treatment for the algae. If anyone has had a experience like this please share your thoughts, I hope to get this coral back to looking well.

Thanks in advance, if you have questions just ask.

P.S link to my algae thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dino-diatom-thoughts.810633/

Solution
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just went through your algae thread, you really had a lot of bad advice there. Your corals have probably died from starvation sorry to be the one telling you.
OP
OP
noobreefer2

noobreefer2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is some info,

Phos: 0.02 (I'm raising it slowly)
Nitrate: 4-5
Ca: 420 ppm
Mg: 1350 ppm
Alk: 8.5
Salinity: 1.025

My hammer is in about 50 par right now, is that too little? I can send you my lighting schedule in a bit. Also it is not really a hammer anymore, there are really no polyps visible. Ill do another H2O2 dip, if there is still pink flesh on the skeleton, is it alive?

I also started dosing coral amino, and feeding the tank more heavily. Here is the part I don't really understand:

Why do my corals continually look worse, even though I am doing the right thing?
Is it because the new changes are stressful? Or because they were under so much stress already?

Upvote 0

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
let it lower itself tp 400-420 by adding less. More critical is LOW calcium. The planktonic powdered foods are not for hammers. Meaty such as small plankton, brine shrimp and mysis shrimp. Also add aminos to tank weekly

Mine- which one . . . LOL
The ones with hammer:

Temp 78
ph 8.18
salinity 1.025
nitrate 7
phos .02
Ammonia .01
mG 1312
Alk 10
CA 446
What are you broadcasting? Do you just thaw mysis or brine and just squirt it into the tank (amazing tank, btw).

@noobreefer2 I feel your pain. Nursing a hammer myself, and it is quite challenging. I have mine on a rock island in the sand bed currently, probably around 75 par. Probably going to try to bring it up to 100 gradually or move it higher. The polyps are not extending, but remain visible. Sounds similar to your situation. Sorry I can't help more, but misery does love company!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
noobreefer2

noobreefer2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you broadcasting? Do you just thaw mysis or brine and just squirt it into the tank (amazing tank, btw).

@noobreefer2 I feel your pain. Nursing a hammer myself, and it is quite challenging. I have mine on a rock island in the sand bed currently, probably around 75 par. Probably going to try to bring it up to 100 gradually or move it higher. The polyps are not extending, but remain visible. Sounds similar to your situation. Sorry I can't help more, but misery does love company!
Yes, I just broadcast about once a day, thanks for the reply, hopefully I can keep the hammer alive. Good luck with yours!

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Brosdcast while feeding fish

Upvote 0
Back