Hammer shedding?

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
I've been having this hammer for 9 months and it's been doing relatively well, it started to branch off/grow more heads, the coloration dramatically increased and the overall health was astounding. All of a sudden, the hammer started to shed its tentacles and its mouth has been making duck-lips at the same time; is this normal? It's been eating normally and has been extending quite nicely but the only thing that's shooting up red flags is it's fallen off tentacles. Here are some reference images to better describe my problem.

tempImageCQNhJX.png tempImagedPIG16.png tempImagegOgpL8.png

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's called polyp bailout. Something is stressing it. Could be parameters, lighting, tank inhabitants, etc.

OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's called polyp bailout. Something is stressing it. Could be parameters, lighting, tank inhabitants, etc.
I know that one of my fish likes to hang out underneath that same head, do you think that it might be the problem? Also, my nitrates have been fluctuating quite a bit lately, none of my other corals have been reacting to it, do you think that this might be a reason for it?

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that one of my fish likes to hang out underneath that same head, do you think that it might be the problem? Also, my nitrates have been fluctuating quite a bit lately, none of my other corals have been reacting to it, do you think that this might be a reason for it?
Either quite possibly could be.

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know how I can help the guy out? Or do I just let him be?
Without knowing the cause, it's difficult to give a solution. I've seen overly strong flow cause this as well. I'd start by getting your nitrates in check. You could also try moving it to a different location to see if it fares better.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back