Hanging Halide Pendants

Phishwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just received my new lights from reefgeek.com and I am planning on putting them on the tank in a few days. I got (2) 250 watt halide units consisting of ReefOptix 3 reflectors, icecap ballasts and Phoenix 14K bulbs. The question I am asking is how do you guys who have halide pendants have your lights positioned above your tanks? Are the reflectors positioned parallel (option 1) or perpendicular (option 2) to your tanks. I always assumed that they would be hung parallel, but after turning the lights on and seeing the light spread on the bare floor, it seems that the light would cover better being hung perpendicular. Opinions? I have attached a pic if I have confused you yet:hammer:

Attachments

• lights.jpg
    lights.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 142
OP
OP
Phishwater

Phishwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I got my new lights hung on my tank. I am upgrading from t5's, so I am only running my lights for 4 hours a day right now and have them hanging higher than I plan on keeping them. I will gradually increase the time the lights are on and also slowly lower them down to the tank. I really like the halides so far, but think I will like them more as the lights are lowered down to the tank. I have had a hood on top of the tank, so the open top is a new comcept to me, but like it so far. Especially being able to have top down views and still having the lights on the tank.

Attachments

• New-Lights2.jpg
    New-Lights2.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 175
OP
OP
Phishwater

Phishwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are still in the burn-in stage, but like them so far. I hope they turn more blue, and it seems like the are as time passes. I think after yesterday, they have ran for 15 hours so far.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 83 44.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 85 45.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.2%
Back