hanging overflow system

Aidenseunglee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am new to this site and hobby. I am working on my first project and purchased a used 55g petco glass tank that I was going to drill for bean animal style overflow system, but after pondering for few days now I am leaning toward just a hanging over flow system since this is my first project ever.
oh by the way I also bought a used Eshopps RS-75 Berlin Style sump. Now I wanted to thank anyone who can guide me to the right direction from here. Should I just go with the hanging overflow system since I would need to drill the tank and work on pvc pipe and all that I really am new to doing? What are the pro's and con's about hanging overflow system? It would be a easier way for me to set up my first tank.

Thank you

RobZilla04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either go drilled, or return the tank and purchase a "reef ready". Cons for hang on the back are noise and reliability. You'll need some way to restart the syphon should a power loss cut the water flow. In that instance when the power comes back on, the return pump will begin filling the tank from the sump, yet the overflow is not sending water down. Sump will drain, pump will run dry, big problem.

Go drilled!

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who's had a HOB overflow for the last 3 years and never had any issues, if I was to do it over again I would drill. A drilled tank looks aesthetically more pleasing and cleaner than one that isn't with all the hardware hanging off the back.
If you still want to use a HOB there is nothing wrong with them if they are set up right. I have an Eshopps PF800 overflow and I have never lost a siphon, the siphon starts right back up when I turn on the pump after a WC and the same with power outages. They are noisy out of the box, but if you look up Stockman Standpipe on Youtube there are directions to make one, they are easy to make and quiet down the overflow. I have my tank next to where I watch TV and after installing the Stockman you wouldn't know the tank was there. If by any chance the siphon was to break there is no chance of flooding because the return section will run dry and I have it set up so the controller shuts down the ATO and return pump and I get an alert. There are two types of HOB overflows, one with a pump and one without, I chose an Eshopps (without) because I didn't want to rely on a pump for a siphon and have another cord to plug in. The only drawback is the added maintenance of cleaning the HOB periodically. They get a bad rap but if set up correctly they aren't a problem like many people make them out to be.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Aidenseunglee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who's had a HOB overflow for the last 3 years and never had any issues, if I was to do it over again I would drill. A drilled tank looks aesthetically more pleasing and cleaner than one that isn't with all the hardware hanging off the back.
If you still want to use a HOB there is nothing wrong with them if they are set up right. I have an Eshopps PF800 overflow and I have never lost a siphon, the siphon starts right back up when I turn on the pump after a WC and the same with power outages. They are noisy out of the box, but if you look up Stockman Standpipe on Youtube there are directions to make one, they are easy to make and quiet down the overflow. I have my tank next to where I watch TV and after installing the Stockman you wouldn't know the tank was there. If by any chance the siphon was to break there is no chance of flooding because the return section will run dry and I have it set up so the controller shuts down the ATO and return pump and I get an alert. There are two types of HOB overflows, one with a pump and one without, I chose an Eshopps (without) because I didn't want to rely on a pump for a siphon and have another cord to plug in. The only drawback is the added maintenance of cleaning the HOB periodically. They get a bad rap but if set up correctly they aren't a problem like many people make them out to be.

OP
OP
A

Aidenseunglee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for your advise and opinion. I now have some what of direction to go from here. I will Drill! I am going to see where this project takes me.
Thank you again and I will keep you in the loop in this post how things go from here.

OP
OP
A

Aidenseunglee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either go drilled, or return the tank and purchase a "reef ready". Cons for hang on the back are noise and reliability. You'll need some way to restart the syphon should a power loss cut the water flow. In that instance when the power comes back on, the return pump will begin filling the tank from the sump, yet the overflow is not sending water down. Sump will drain, pump will run dry, big problem.

Go drilled!

OP
OP
A

Aidenseunglee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh by the way, what will be most sufficient bean animal overflow system out there for my 55g tank? How big or small of overflow system should I buy or make one myself?

OP
OP
A

Aidenseunglee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I've ordered and got my overflow system from amazon. Will it be best for me to drill one hole in the tank and set this overflow system outside of the tank and drill three hole through the bottom of this overflow system, which i saw many people have done or should I install this overflow system in the inside of the fish tank and drill three hole through the tank for the bean animal system?

https://www.google.com/search?q=180...AUICygC&biw=1422&bih=689#imgrc=ef_5tE6BYRmu0M:

Monsinour

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a cpr overflow for well over a year. I had a pump restart the siphon for me. I never worried about it after very thorough testing. However, it's good to see that you're drilling.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back