Hanks first reef - Fluval Flex 32.5 Gallon

tanksreef

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 18, 2026
Messages
2
Reaction score
5
Location
South Dakota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting this thread about 3 months in to my learning experience. It might take me a few days, but I plan on posting the few pictures I have. Not the best pics because that's another learning experience in itself with these tanks I've found. So here is the first Pic I took after setting up this bare-bottom reef learning experience.
3112.jpg
 
Following along!
 
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

#WelcometoR2R

Let usknow if you have questions and good luck with your build!
 
After that first Pic it took about four and a half weeks for the tank to cycle. Within a couple days I had nitrite at about 2 ppm and nitrates at 20 ppm climbing to 50 ppm, and thats where it stalled. It was a very frustrating time for me. I came in with as much patience as I could, but I made a few mistakes that I believe drew out the process unnecessarily.

Biggest mistake: from what I have gathered and what I had to do to break the stall. I used fish flakes as a source of ammonia. These just broke down so slowly that the nite-out bacteria that I was dosing was just breaking down the ammonia as soon as it was released so I never saw any spike ever on my monitor. It also created a layer of partially broken down flakes that formed a layer across the top of the water which stopped the gas transfer. If I was to start another tank like this, without any live rock or sand, I would definitely get some liquid ammonia so that I can control at least that part of my nitrogen cycle.
3135.jpg

Finally cycled and got my first livestock. A clown pair Mr. & Mrs. Nosey. A few Trochus snails in there to clean things up as well.
 
Congrats on the new livestock; looking good!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new