Hanna Alk reagent issues

Hanna-Teri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing this as a problem a few months ago. I started testing with both Hanna and Salifert. Hanna quickly took a dive. For now I am using nothing but Salifert.

I love the Hanna meter, but I don't care for replacements. All I want is accurate results. I will wait till Hanna resolves this issue, if they can, before I switch back.

Hello, we have resolved the issue. There was a chemical reaction to the cap liner once the bottle was open. I am not a chemist so I cannot explain it any further than that. Hopefully, soon, you will see positive feedback and no problems showing as the bottles we are sending out work until they are empty. I am happy to see you still are positive about the Checker itself because we have so many different ones and more coming out.

Hanna-Teri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not read all the posts so maybe I am repeating something that was already said. I called the technical support and was told that the problem with the reagent is not going to cause systematic error, but a random error. That means that is not possible to correct the results one will get with the reagents that have problems. I also called a few stores and learned that there are many lots with problem. So at this point best is to purchase directly from HI, unless you know the lot of the reagent you are buying is not problematic. This is a good example why frequently running controls is advisable.
Sorry if all this information was already stated.

Hello,
Yes, you can order direct through out RI office or our website. But I do know many the stores such as Bulk Reef Supply have been super supportive with the recall and have the new bottles, if not already on the shelf, will be in the next week or so. I would hate to see them lose business over this when it is far from being in their control.

aaron23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too have had the same issue and checked the lot against the website. My readings were 1-2dkh difference and to me that meant me tinkering a whole lot more and stressing me the **** out. I bought 4 other alk test kits Bc the Hanna kit kept testing numbers not shared by my other kits. I have a salifert Lamotte nyos and the faulty Hanna meter now. It's more than just a recall the product quality in my eyes has dropped significantly and I will not use my Hanna checker as the main test kit for alk

OP
OP
tcoyle

tcoyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too have had the same issue and checked the lot against the website. My readings were 1-2dkh difference and to me that meant me tinkering a whole lot more and stressing me the **** out. I bought 4 other alk test kits Bc the Hanna kit kept testing numbers not shared by my other kits. I have a salifert Lamotte nyos and the faulty Hanna meter now. It's more than just a recall the product quality in my eyes has dropped significantly and I will not use my Hanna checker as the main test kit for alk

Aaron, your meter is not broken, it was the reagent. Get the new reagents and your checker will be work as it always did. I still believe that the hanna checker is the most accurate device out there.

aaron23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the meter is not broken but their quality control comes to question. I agree it is the most accurate device out there because there are no other devices that check alkalinity.

Robthorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. A company that comes through with a recall because of a reaction they didn't foresee. Replacing everything fairly quickly. Sign of a good company to me. No body is perfect.

Thank you Hanna Teri.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
tcoyle

tcoyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I have lost over $300 in corals due to this issue. But the reality is they have done all they could have in identifying the issue as it was not an easy one to figure out. Am I mad that it happened, you bet. But I learned a big lesson. Verify before making big adjustments.

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may not be easy to figure out bit this thread started 6 months ago and I just purchased a bad bottle a few weeks ago.....when something is off, they should have pulled everything until they figured out what the issue was. If people are getting sick from a certain food, they recall all of that item until it can figured out what the issue is.....

I personally have not had an issue with the reagent as it's been on target with 2 other tests......all this being said, I really do like the Hanna kit as its easy and precise.

cb684

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The truth is that an equipment or reagent could have gone bad for a number of reasons. In this case it is clearly a quality control problem from HI and they are taking care of it. But checking if your equipment or reagents are still working properly is not their responsibility. For that you should be running standards (if the equipment has the ability to be calibrated), and controls to make sure equipment and reagents are working the way it should throughout time. So, independently of how bad of a situation this is, it brings up an important (and frequently neglected) part of the hobby that is making sure your equipment is still working the way they should.

kaoscoder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current reagent has a lot # 5441 Exp 09/2016. The new one I bought off Amazon last week is lot # 5664 Exp 01/2017.

Are both of these ok?

jgraz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. A company that comes through with a recall because of a reaction they didn't foresee. Replacing everything fairly quickly. Sign of a good company to me. No body is perfect.

Thank you Hanna Teri.

I guess of it was Maxspect they would have just sent some new caps.

twobytwo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea on the timeframe for the replacement? The website said it ships out in 2-3 weeks. Being that I'm from Canada, could shipping be another 1-2 weeks? So I have to wait 5 weeks without being able to test Alk?

Teri, could you please clarify how long I should expect to wait? Thanks

Robthorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Twobytwo it sounds like you did the math correctly. Hope it gets there sooner is all.
I don't think they are bad the day you open the package. It sounds like it takes time for the reaction. I would still test normally with what you have. Mine has been opened close to a month and is still pretty close to my salifert kit.
Just don't make any crazy changes in dosing according to the Hanna just in case. Small adjustments if any.

BryanS4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My replacement was shipped less than a week after I filled out the form and in fact arrived via Ups about 15.mins ago.

BryanS4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I just posted above that my new reagent was sent to me today and just for kicks I went to the replacement website and put in the lot number that was sent to me and guess what, needs to be replaced.

Replacement that was sent to me is lot # 5745.

I think I'll be selling this thing off.

jgraz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I just posted above that my new reagent was sent to me today and just for kicks I went to the replacement website and put in the lot number that was sent to me and guess what, needs to be replaced.

Replacement that was sent to me is lot # 5745.

I think I'll be selling this thing off.

Not even sure how to respond to that. Lol

Well is there any difference in the cap or is the bottle the same.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 17 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.5%

Back